The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sequester? Really?

Default Sequester? Really?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=175056660
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS March 22, 2013 1:50 PM

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) President Barack Obama says his administration is working with Congress to provide Jordan with an additional $200 million in aid this year.
    Jordan's economic troubles have been made worse by the influx of more than 450,000 refugees fleeing the civil war across the border in neighboring Syria. The Syrians are crowding refugee camps in Jordan and overwhelming aid agencies run by the important U.S. ally in the Middle East.
    The United States already is the largest single donor of humanitarian aid for the Syrian people.

Obama said Friday that the extra money, if approved by Congress, will help provide more humanitarian assistance and basic services.

He made the announcement during a news conference in Amman, Jordan, with King Abdullah II.

Cancel the Easter Egg Hunt, but hand over $200 million to help out Jordan take care of Syrian refugees?

This on top of Biden's night in Paris costing $585,000, taking over the entire hotel for his entourage. Back that up with another $459,000 for his night in London. 600 people accompanied Obama on his ME trip.

I'm guessing that Jordan is already the recipient of some dollars of foreign aid from the US

Then there's a cool $150 million to upgrade Gitmo. Didn't they just get a very expensive soccer field (or something like that)?

Tell me again that there is no waste in the budget.

(Another proximately 240,000 Syrian refugees have gone to Turkey, though the # may be approach 300,000. Another 110,000 refugees have gone to Iraq. The total population of Syria not counting the Israeli troops in the Golan Heights, is about 22,440,000, based on the date given, the 70,000 already killed may have already been deducted from the total population figure.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

USAID reports that just under 50 billion was spend on Foreign Aid in 2011 by the goverment. It's estimated that only an equal amount goes out of the US in private Aid.

"In 2000, Americans spent about $36 billion on cocaine, $10 billion on heroin, $5.4 billion on methamphetamine, $11 billion on marijuana, and $2.4 billion on other substances (see Table 1)." https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publ...spend_2002.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    USAID reports that just under 50 billion was spend on Foreign Aid in 2011 by the goverment. It's estimated that only an equal amount goes out of the US in private Aid.

"In 2000, Americans spent about $36 billion on cocaine, $10 billion on heroin, $5.4 billion on methamphetamine, $11 billion on marijuana, and $2.4 billion on other substances (see Table 1)." https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publ...spend_2002.pdf
    Not sure what your point is.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

His point is HPL,, is that us Americans is so fU$#%^ up on drugs, that we let our elected jackasses get away with sending money over seas!!

I mean how can it be more clear..

Colorado pot headed state regards.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    His point is HPL,, is that us Americans is so fU$#%^ up on drugs, that we let our elected jackasses get away with sending money over seas!!

I mean how can it be more clear..

Colorado pot headed state regards.

Gooser
    Post of the day! And early in the morning
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Actually, it appeared to me that he was saying that compared to what we willing pay for illicit drugs, what we send out in foreign aid isn't really all that much and quit your griping. That's why I asked him to clarify.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Actually, it appeared to me that he was saying that compared to what we willing pay for illicit drugs, what we send out in foreign aid isn't really all that much and quit your griping. That's why I asked him to clarify.
    Except that the $ spent in foreign aid is "compulsory" for a taxpayer, while they can opt out of spending their $ for the drugs (which many choose to do).
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Except that the $ spent in foreign aid is "compulsory" for a taxpayer, while they can opt out of spending their $ for the drugs (which many choose to do).
    I didn't say he had a valid point, just that I wasn't sure what the point was.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Not sure what your point is.

I found it more interesting than anything.

I've always been against foreign aid considering that we have a monstrous federal deficit and I thought that our total annual foreign aid would have been much higher than the 50 billion reported above.

It got me thinking about the economy as a whole and how much money goes out of the United States. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that the 65 billion spent on illegal drugs doesn't get counted in the official numbers as a drain on our economy.

I'm just trying to get a perspective on how much money goes where.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    I found it more interesting than anything.

I've always been against foreign aid considering that we have a monstrous federal deficit and I thought that our total annual foreign aid would have been much higher than the 50 billion reported above.

It got me thinking about the economy as a whole and how much money goes out of the United States. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that the 65 billion spent on illegal drugs doesn't get counted in the official numbers as a drain on our economy.

I'm just trying to get a perspective on how much money goes where.

So my take, that you were pointing out that foreign aid is not such a big number when seen in perspective, was reasonably close to the mark.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)