The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Box

Default Dog Box

I'm thinking about buying a dog box & am wondering what I need to look for and what to stay away from. I only have one dog and won't be getting a puppy until later this year or early next year, so a single dog box will do. It will be going in the back of a pickup truck that won't have a cap on it, so I need it to protect my dog from the elements & have fans or air conditioning (if that exists!). I'd also like something I can lift if needed. Bottom line is safe and comfortable for my dog. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Out the door, but will check back.

Thanks in advance!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Oh no the jeep is gone? I"ll miss that jeep it was your signature
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Oh no the jeep is gone? I"ll miss that jeep it was your signature
    You mean the Ellie Mae Clampett-mobile?!? Honestly, I'd be happy driving one of those forever, but maybe I can break the curse since switching to a (almost new) Ford pickup.

Do you have any suggestions about a box Mike? I did post here because I'm sure there are some things I should look for and some to avoid. I don't want to cut corners and regret it.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

They might make them, but I don't think I've ever seen a single dog box with fans. If you even think you might need a 2 hole box just get it now.

They are expensive and heavy, doubt you'll be able to lift it. There are nice ones sometimes, (now) in the classifieds on RTF. Most come with fans, lights, drawers for storage and a water tank. Like this one:
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...eel-Frame-Skin You could probably use it for 10 years and sell it for 50 % of what you paid which makes it a little easier to rationalize.

The alternative, is a topper with individual crates under it. If you think you might want to add a full length drawer system to the bed someday be sure to get a topper that will be tall enough to accept the drawer unit and crates. The drawers are about 12 inches tall, crates about 24-27 inches. So you'll need a topper that's a little taller than the cab of the truck. The newer toppers have an optional "windoor" that you can get on both side that open like the door in the back for more ventilation when you're parked and a slider window for ventilation while you're driving.

I think a 2 hole box with drawers and a fan costs as much or more than a topper, drawer units and 2 custom made metal dog boxes.
    Last edited by John Lash; 03-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Put a topper on it.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I use an Owens single tread plate box. Added insulation and use attachable fans when needed. Has a storm door with vents in the backside. Door locks, chained to a tie down hook for anti-theft or accident. Lifts in and out easily. $300-$400

Heavier double boxes are nicer but I transport 1 dog and besides - with a double box I'm not sure where the decoys would go. Would rather put a buddy's dog in the back seat of the PU than nasty dekes at days end.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

If your getting a second dog within a year, why not get a two dog model now?

Gawd I seriously missed 1/2 the post - don't know what I was thinking...lol. Missed you had a 1st dog, missed you were Miriam, missed you asking about AC on a box.

Guessing you don't need room for decoys. Buy the double now for pete's sake.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I use an Owens single tread plate box. Added insulation and use attachable fans when needed. Has a storm door with vents in the backside. Door locks, chained to a tie down hook for anti-theft or accident. Lifts in and out easily. $300-$400

Heavier double boxes are nicer but I transport 1 dog and besides - with a double box I'm not sure where the decoys would go. Would rather put a buddy's dog in the back seat of the PU than nasty dekes at days end.
    I would like to know know where u found one for $300-&400. I have been looking for over a month now and can not find a two hole box for near that. $500 maybe and they never post a pic and when u contact them no reply. So any help on where u found one in that price range would be a big help.
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

I'm with Mike. Put a topper on it. You wont regret it.
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" SH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella"