The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesson of the LIVE FLIER STATION and other newbie facts.

Default Lesson of the LIVE FLIER STATION and other newbie facts.

Background: I live in the boonies with no training group within 4 hours drive, so I train alone with hubby as bird boy. Have trained my dog up through almost swim-by using the Lardy sequence. Dog has been duck hunting several times. Dog can do doubles up to 300 yds in tough cover and water with fairly tight angles.

SO, I signed us up for our first Derby. Result: OUT IN THE FIRST SERIES

Why? Never trained for the spectacle of the Live Flier Station! Not talking about a live bird flying up, getting shot and getting retrieved - we did lots of that in training. I'm talking about this:

1st gun station is way off in the distance with one white jacket who sits down after throw and is kind of obscured in the terrain. 2nd station is the closer to us live flier with 3 very visible guys in white jackets with two shotguns and a big yellow crate of live birds. Dog watched both birds go down, was sent for the flier. Got distracted by the great stuff at the station on way to bird. Got bird and came back in. Received her on the memory bird side and lined her up. WOULD NOT STOP STARING AT THE FLIER STATION. Finally sent her for the memory and she went straight back to the cool guys with the guns and birds.

Lesson 1: Train with a giant live flier station in the field and practice sending dog past it for the long memory bird.

Lesson 2: Handling: if you have a two sided dog:
    Have dog on side that memory bird on on. Line dog straight at the memory bird and stare it down for as long as possible after bird is thrown to ingrain it in memory. Then swing to watch flier go down.

What I did: had dog on the flier go bird side lined up to look between both stations. Once the 3 guys in white jackets started moving, she stopped looking at the memory bird and quickly lost interest in it all together. When she came back from go bird, she had no reference for lining to memory bird on my left side, because she had been on my right side lined for the middle of field.

ALL IN ALL: So glad we didi it! I never would have learned those things on my own and would have wasted time waiting to run til we were "Ready". Reality is we wouldn't have ever been "ready" because you don't know what you don't know til you find out.

Judges were AWESOME!! They offered for us to re-run the memory bird and have the gunner "help"! They were also very genuinely sympathetic to me. Not that I was looking for that, but it was nice!

Other handlers were great, too. They showed me how to do it and talked to me about how to train for it next time. GREAT EXPERIENCE that I could not have gotten without sticking my neck out and giving it a try.

Very well put. Thank you for sharing.

I have SOOO been there with you! Almost the exact same thing in my first derby last summer. A suggestion made to me, and I will surely try when ever I get to train with live birds and a group again, is to be sure the flyer station is blocked as much as possible by your body and the approach you take from the holding blind to the line. TAKE YOUR FREAKING TIME!!!!! Do NOT call for the birds until pup is locked onto that memory gunner. I came out the wrong side of the blind and the first thing Chief is looking at is the flyer station. After a little effort, he did "glance" over at the long bird, and like a puppet on a string, my arm flew up right away to signal for the birds. Pup never saw the thing as he had gone back to searching for the fun place by the time the bird was thrown. Hopeless. I felt so bad for him. I really need some serious training.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Jennifer, I'm glad you went.

Yours and Carol's experiences happen to all of us....The things you need to learn to play these games are not found an a DVD.

Keep at at it and enjoy yourself along the way.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Some things to think about:
    1. As dog is returning, blow whistle to break dog focus on flier.
    2. As dog heels in, emphasize where you want dog to sit. Do not let dog look at flyer
    3. If dog focuses on flyer, and you cannot break attention, put out hand in direction of flyer. Say "here."
    4. If that doesn't work, heel to flyer station. Put hand out. Say "no."
    5. Re-heel dog. Hand out. "Here". If you get change, take your time
    6. Pray
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Congrats for giving it a try

great post, thanks!!

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

now , go back and watch that video I posted again!!! I owed ya one!! Congrats for the gumption to walk to the line
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Darn, but sounds like you had a good time.

So now you know some new, critical things to train for, when you think you got those down enter again and let us know how it goes!
    Renee P

We is gong to run Bearz in some dervies. Dad FAC AFC HO no yall kansas themes comings on... Hanes underwares. ??