The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting on the whistle

Default Sitting on the whistle

My dog does not always sit square when I stop her on the whistle when running blinds. Sometimes she cheating to one side and about half the time she does it correctly. How do I correct this?

What i did initially was use the "here" whistle to my advantage (3 blasts) and then sit him after a step or two when he was squared up. Then i transitioned into a "square up whistle" which is two blasts. So, now if we arent square on the initial sit whistle, i give a 2 blast whistle to square him up ( i still follow it by a sit whistle). To be honest, sometime it sounds like there is alot going on when i have the whistle in my mouth at the retrieving line, and am sure there are many better ways out there, but this is what worked for my dog and his amateur trainer.
    Last edited by jecartag; 03-23-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

If I was sitting on a whistle I probably wouldn't be sitting square either...

My problem is that Bear is sitting better now to the hand signals. Ring then field then back again

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    What i did initially was use the "here" whistle to my advantage (3 blasts) and then sit him after a step or two wwhen he was squared up. Then i transitioned into a "square up whistle" which is two blasts. So, now if we arent square on the initial sot whistle, i give a 2 blast whistle to square him up ( i still follow it by a sit whistle). To be honest, sometime it sounds like there i alot going on wheb i have the whistle in my mouth at the retrievin line, an am sure there are many vetter ways out there, but this is what worked for y dog and his amateur trainer.
    Dat be on enice doggies Look at the skies for the birdz like Cookie Monsters Then give a short tween then "over"

Try twirling a white bumper when you blow the whistle.
    Darrin Greene

Do you know anyone who has Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy? He demonstrates how to correct this using bird boy blinds with an older dog.

I couldn't find the thread I was thinking about but did find the following, which has lots of good information:
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ed+sit+whistle
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 03-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

No retrieve unless you get a square sit. My dog doesn't get a cast if the sit is not square--she will now adjust to a square sit on her own in order to get the cast. It surprised me but is an outcome of having an operant dog but I made that part of my drill when doing the T. Anyway, that's one way to do it. I am sure there are others.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Thank you, I will let u know you know how i how it works .

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    No retrieve unless you get a square sit. My dog doesn't get a cast if the sit is not square--she will now adjust to a square sit on her own in order to get the cast. It surprised me but is an outcome of having an operant dog but I made that part of my drill when doing the T. Anyway, that's one way to do it. I am sure there are others.
    I suspect you started this training way before T or pile work George. Might be helpful if you describe all the steps leading up to refusing the reward in the field.

Also, not sure anyone knows what you mean by an "operant" dog.
    Darrin Greene