The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Puppy in outside kennel and kennel in truck

Default Puppy in outside kennel and kennel in truck

It's been 7 years since my last puppy. So i have a couple quick questions. Right now I have a 9 week old BLF and she is doing great at adjusting to our house, her crate training, etc. She's a fun little fur ball!

M questions:

1. She will spend a lot of her spare time and nights inside and in her crate. However, I have a nice outside 10x10x8 pen with a roof, concrete floor, and kennel with cedar inside. I want her to be comfortable/conditioned to spending time and nights outside in dog pens as that is what the trainer has, and what we use at the duck club. With mild spring weather in alabama at what age will it be ok to start working on staying outside in the dog pen?

2. At what age will it be ok to pet her in the pet porter in the back of the truck for trips around town, etc?

Thanks!

Surely someone has some input? Just curious when she can start spending time outside, and riding in back of truck? Anyone?

We have some 13 week old pups that we've been letting stay outside some. The nights that have dropped below freezing I bring them in. They've been staying outside for most of the last three weeks or so. The were born here and raised in the house, we've had them "visiting" outside during the day in the pen on good days since they were 6 weeks old or so.

We usually wait a while before they're in the crate in the back of the truck. They're usually inside the cab in the crate at first, short drives usually just in the seat no crate (not the safest, but usually have another "body" that holds them so they're not trying to get in driver's lap), usually several months old before they are in the wind of the back.
    Last edited by Cedarswamp; 03-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Thanks. With the exception of this cold snap, we are starting to get into some nice spring temperatures and i was thinking at about 10 weeks she should be able to spend an hour or during the day in the outside kennel.

Is three months old enough to move the kennel to the cab, or does she need to be older?

Seams like common sense would apply here. I wouldn't want to freeze my a@@ off in a kennel or a truck. What's the hurry?

Would error on caution. Good luck with your pup!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Thanks! No hurry at all. Definitely not putting her outside at all till it warms up.

Dogs will learn to adapt. Just do it little by little. And let it ride in the cab for quite a while, it will make the ride better for you and the pup.
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

I always raise my puppys inside until it's time for FF. Then they go to the kennel run. This, I think, teaches them the do's & dont's of daily life and builds a bond with you.

As far as riding in the back of the truck, put the little fur ball in the passenger seat and take it to the bank or local drive thru that gives treats to their "doggy customers". Pups learn quick to love car rides! And you'll get some "etiquette training" in too without realizing it. LOL

Have fun and let the pup be a pup!!!
    Home to:
    Crusin' Hallowed Grounds*** - "Bones"
    (FC-AFC RSK's Smooth Sailing X FC Ozark's Cosmic Dream)
    Happy Hippie*** - "Ziggy"
    (FC-AFC Wood River's Franchise X FC-AFC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog MH)