The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cripples and Conservation

More laws? No thanks
    Bert Rodgers

I think someone should be able to retrieve their birds HOWEVER they want... and their are many areas where hunting over a dog, even a great dog, makes absolutely no sense...

Hmmm. After one hell of a lot of years waterfowling there are a large group of hunters that I would not like to see have a dog. If you hunt think about the stupid stuff you have seen and wonder if a dog should be a part of it. Just sayin!

Michigan managed waterfowl areas at one time had "dog blinds" only available to hunters with dogs. They are long gone after guys starting bringing "lap dogs" so they could hunt those blinds. Makes my point I guess.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Interesting posts that are definitely enlightening me about things I had not thought about.

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    More laws? No thanks
    X2........
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I was 15 years old when I started duck hunting and almost 40 before I had the opportunity to hunt with a dog. We lived in apartments in suburban LA when I was young so owning a dog wasn't even a consideration. When we hunted the Dad's supervised while us boys would haul and set decoys, build blinds and retrieve birds. It was character building I guess...

BTW I guess we were pretty shots, plus lead was more lethal as I don't remember loosing cripples. I will say that hunting over a dog is the only way to go, especially since I don't have a teenager to order about.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 03-25-2013 at 03:15 PM.

My major problem is the dog retrieves birds, that others have crippled, as we're walking back in from the blind. I shoot my limit then end up with a few extra, not good. One time we'd been back to the truck for ~20min, game warden comes out want to see license, count my bird etc. as I'm talking to him, I'm semi-watching my dog messing around in some tulleys. Just as he's walking off my proud hunter comes back to stand @ heel with another bird in her mouth, luckily the warden had gotten in his truck and didn't notice the dog.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by sdnordahl View Post
    This is the same logic anti gun nuts use to try to limit our 2nd amendment rights. Don't you think we have enough rules and laws to guide our lives?

It comes down to personal responsibility. Some have it some dont. My dog has found someone elses cripples walking along the river and I'm happy to add them to my bag. But if we do lose a bird it's one less out of my bag I get to take home
    Yep!! But if it will only help ONE person it will be worth it!! NOT
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (600+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River MH (600+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH MPR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    HRCH 3XGMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike SH
    HR GMPR KBs Hunters Dream JH
    HR APR KBs They Call Me Beau JH

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    My major problem is the dog retrieves birds, that others have crippled, as we're walking back in from the blind. I shoot my limit then end up with a few extra, not good. One time we'd been back to the truck for ~20min, game warden comes out want to see license, count my bird etc. as I'm talking to him, I'm semi-watching my dog messing around in some tulleys. Just as he's walking off my proud hunter comes back to stand @ heel with another bird in her mouth, luckily the warden had gotten in his truck and didn't notice the dog.
    I had a similar thing happen to me. It was early teal and all you could shoot were teal and wood ducks, I was at a public area where they only allowed so many hunters in I had gone in late as a replacement hunter and set up in a spot where someone else had just come out of. I found a nice clump of cattails to set up in so I put my dog stand up and told my dog to get on it , he jumped up on the stand with a mottle duck in his mouth he had found in the cattails which was not in season so I had to stash it back in the cattails so I didn't get caught with it.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Hmmm. After one hell of a lot of years waterfowling there are a large group of hunters that I would not like to see have a dog. If you hunt think about the stupid stuff you have seen and wonder if a dog should be a part of it. Just sayin!

Michigan managed waterfowl areas at one time had "dog blinds" only available to hunters with dogs. They are long gone after guys starting bringing "lap dogs" so they could hunt those blinds. Makes my point I guess.

Hobo is itching to go you make a very good point. He has never retrieved a duck, and he hates Chessies--- Bad Combo in the swamp!

John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold