The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby Triples

Default Derby Triples

I disagree. Good judges with good grounds and help can create separation with 8 good marks.

Not to high jack the "judging Derby" thread I thought we could start anew with something relatively close in subject matter. The above quote is from Ted on page 9. With everyone talking about cheaty lines, Deby Marks and separation why not add a 3rd bird once in awhile?

Someone mentioned and I would agree, dogs are so much better today. So if one believes that or thinks he needs a bigger test to separate do you have the kahonnies to set up a triple in a Derby? It was not an uncommon thing 30 years ago, why should it be now?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I disagree. Good judges with good grounds and help can create separation with 8 good marks.

Not to high jack the "judging Derby" thread I thought we could start anew with something relatively close in subject matter. The above quote is from Ted on page 9. With everyone talking about cheaty lines, Deby Marks and separation why not add a 3rd bird once in awhile?

Someone mentioned and I would agree, dogs are so much better today. So if one believes that or thinks he needs a bigger test to separate do you have the kahonnies to set up a triple in a Derby? It was not an uncommon thing 30 years ago, why should it be now?

Find me a third set of guns/bird throwers

Find me an area where you can throw a bonafide triple and where the third bird is actually has some substance to it and not some gimme, just so it can be called a triple....

Here is an idea used by some Derby judges (who coincidently just judged the Open)..use the same marks that were used in the Open, except cut one of the birds out....

I agree with Ted's opinion about letting the dog's play...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Find me a third set of guns/bird throwers

Find me an area where you can throw a bonafide triple and where the third bird is actually has some substance to it and not some gimme, just so it can be called a triple....

Here is an idea used by some Derby judges (who coincidently just judged the Open)..use the same marks that were used in the Open, except cut one of the birds out....

I agree with Ted's opinion about letting the dog's play...
    Bon, why do you have my last sentence highlighted? A 3rd bird is one person, whether it be a gimme or not the dog now has to extend his memory. I think the Open idea is wonderful and one I have thought about. However that is not always readily available. More times than not a Derby is done on Saturday or a Friday if it starts early, where the Open marks more times than not are on Sunday. If it works out that a set of judges can use a couple Open marks I am OK with that.

I certainly don't have a problem letting the dogs play either. Use the 25% rule of thumb rule or less depending on the work and move on to your next series.

I ran a derby with a triple. I was suprised to say the least. It might catch several newcomers (amateurs) by suprise as well. Not that it makes it right or wrong.
    Rocky Hill's Texas Lady MH

Go team chocolate!

Many moons ago, I ran a derby under Mitch Patterson and an un-named other judge. That judge wanted a triple. Mitch said "Over my dead body. The day I need a triple for a derby is the day I quit judging field trials."

I feel the same way about triples in the derby.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The Morgan trophy owned by the Wisconsin Amateur Field Trial Club, one of the oldest clubs in the country and donated by Charles Morgan. It is awarded annually to the club member with the most Derby points for the year, Wisconsin clubs and two Illinois clubs, Midwest and AARC. The stipulation is if a derby has a triple and the club member places in that derby, the trophy will not be awarded. Maybe the old guy was on the mark. I think so.
    Earl Dillow

It wasn't all that long ago where a Quad or a retired gun were non existent in AA stakes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    It wasn't all that long ago where a Quad or a retired gun were non existent in AA stakes as well.

I guess that is all the justification you need. As for me, I will stick to doubles.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

No triples needed in the derby for sure! If that would become typical I would quit running them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

I guess that is all the justification you need. As for me, I will stick to doubles.
    No, just an observation.