The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All Male Litter

did a natural breeding last fall got 3 females 4 males 5 of them black and 2 chocolate
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

There is some thought that timing has to do with males vs females due to the size/speed/longevity of the sperm cells. The "male" sperm are smaller and faster, but don't live as long as the slower, larger "female" sperm.

The thought is that you can either centrifuge down the semen sample and draw off the bottom of the tube (where the heavier "female" sperm will be) for more females, or by breeding early you can get more females since the males will have already made their run upstream and died by the time the eggs are ripe and ready for fertilization. I personally haven't had that experience but know breeders who swear by both techniques....
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    It's my understanding after two frozen surgical breedings that frozen then thawed sperm don't swim and that is why the timimg and injection directly into the uterine horns is so critical.
    They do swim, but there is a much higher mortality rate and damage rate to the individual sperm cells. They also don't live as long. That is why it is so critical to literally "bathe" those ripened eggs in the previously frozen semen to ensure that they are right where the remaining living sperm cells are able to swim to fertilize without wasting excess time/energy to get there...
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    There is some thought that timing has to do with males vs females due to the size/speed/longevity of the sperm cells. The "male" sperm are smaller and faster, but don't live as long as the slower, larger "female" sperm.

The thought is that you can either centrifuge down the semen sample and draw off the bottom of the tube (where the heavier "female" sperm will be) for more females, or by breeding early you can get more females since the males will have already made their run upstream and died by the time the eggs are ripe and ready for fertilization. I personally haven't had that experience but know breeders who swear by both techniques....
    It's interesting that you say that. I have a male that seems to throw 70 to 80% males every litter. This last litter I bred I wanted a female out of it and I had alot of interest in females So I applied the theory and let them breed the second they were both willing. hoping that a good percentage of the male semen would die by the time the eggs dropped. It seems to have worked or just a coincidence but either way we got 6 females and 4 males. and that is a first.
    Last edited by justin300mag; 03-25-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: mistyped