The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: puppy toys

Default puppy toys

Over the years I have never given my pups squeaky toys when they were little. Now I have read some people say it isn't detrimental and some say it is. The reason I ask is my new pup just is not interested at all in bones are other hard chew things and he is just getting into everything. Just curious as to what others are giving there pups.

I give my dogs all sorts of toys. www.dogtuff.com has toys that are a little tougher and don't rip apart as easy. Look for the ones that have the black binding on the edge. I have everything from the smaller rabbit up to the big dinosaurs. They love them. I also get stuff from www.kvsupply.com like this http://www.kvsupply.com/pogo-plush-slap-happy and this http://www.kvsupply.com/skinneeez-unstuffed-toy The toys that don't have stuffing last longer for my dogs. Hence the skineez that don't have stuffing. I do NOT buy toys that have any knot in the arm/legs or anything with rope. I worry too much about them chewing it up and getting an impaction from that type of toy.

From previous dogs. I personally don't like the SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK but eventually they popped the noise maker and they'd have toy they liked. It keept them out of things I didn't want them in. Labs are new to me and know they have a curiousty of their own. Plus being so smart is probably why they are into everything. They just want to learn. No idea about the detrimental aspect.

An old sock works well as well as a 16 oz plastic water bottle. Just be sure to monitor the plastic. When it is pretty chewed up throw away and give em another.

Quote Originally Posted by kpolley View Post
    An old sock works well as well as a 16 oz plastic water bottle. Just be sure to monitor the plastic. When it is pretty chewed up throw away and give em another.
    Have done this and it's a great idea and works.

I give Young puppies all kinds of toys. I let them pick the ones they like. I use some with squekers. I find that often time they
    develop more prey drive with theese. I usually start them retrieving with theese using two at a time. I would never leave
    a puppy alone with any kind of toy.

A long piece of rope with knots tied in it. Cheap and the best toy your pup will have.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Here's a video of my 10.5 m/o with a squeaker toy that mom just "had to get him."

Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Quote Originally Posted by kpolley View Post
    The empty plastic water bottle for the dog is about the equivalent of the box the present was in at Christmas for the little kids. I was told to be sure and remove the top before giving it to them, as it was a choking hazard.