The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't it be nice...???

Default Wouldn't it be nice...???

...if this could be enacted? Next to term limits, this would be the closest to an ideal Congress. Then the Constitution's "We the people..." would begin to mean something.

UB

This is one idea that really should be passed around

*Congressional Reform Act of 2013

1. No Tenure / No Pension.
    A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.

Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.

The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

100% in agreement!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bill View Post
    ...if this could be enacted? Next to term limits, this would be the closest to an ideal congress. Then the constitution's "we the people..." would begin to mean something.

Ub

this is one idea that really should be passed around

*congressional reform act of 2013

1. No tenure / no pension.
    A congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in social security.
    All funds in the congressional retirement fund move to the social security system immediately. All future funds flow into the social security system, and congress participates with the american people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.congressional pay will rise by the lower of cpi or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the american people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the american people.

7. All contracts with past and present congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The american people did not make this contract with congressmen/women.

congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in congress is an honor, not a career.

The founding fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

don't you think it's time?

this is how you fix congress!

I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

In order to get such a law passed, almost all the current officeholders would have to NOT be re-elected.

Congress cannot change its compensation for its present term, ostensibly so they can't vote themselves a pay raise. However, it also means they can't vote themselves a pay decrease. However, someone could, if they were serious about this, pass a resolution to voluntarily return a certain portion of their compensation back to the Treasury? Fat chance

It is certainly time for Congress to be put on equal footing with other citizens, not placed on a pedestal with "elite" privileges.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

UB, Sounds Fantastic ! .................................
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Well, a lot looks right, at a glance.
    Simple, real term limits would solve most issues.
    The health and retirement points are good.
    The number 7 one will be a bitch.
    Those past contracts are promises to hold true.
    Good or bad, like um or not. I have seen right here
    On my local news municipalities of the edge of bankruptcy
    Because of public servant union contract agreements.
    So stupid, especially when it is just a politician, not even a teacher or fireman or cop.
    But to set a precedent of not honoring past contractual agreements?
    Shucks, if we do that, well the next thing you know we will be taking land from
    Native Peoples!!!

Oh Wait!…….
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

BTW,
    with the fresh snow on the ground and all I was sure the thread title would lead to this - click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPN53PHDwe4
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I agree with term limits.

The purpose of the retirement was so that the congressmen couldn't be bought while in office. Supposedly, a congressman who didn't have to worry about his finances after working in Congress (that's an oxymoron, I'm sorry.) could vote his conscience instead of what his new, prospective employer wanted.

However, since the both the Dems and Reps require the congressmen to shill for funds for the party war fund, it hasn't worked out so well. I know that our local congressman several years ago quit after one term because more that half of his time was spending calling donors for the party war fund. I don't think that that has changed much.

get rid of Lobbyists..they are nothing more than legalized pimps who specialize in bribery..

I know this will never happen, but if there was a way for a congresspersons constituency to vote on key issues and that person had to vote the way their state/district wanted then we would have something
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    get rid of Lobbyists..they are nothing more than legalized pimps who specialize in bribery..

I know this will never happen, but if there was a way for a congresspersons constituency to vote on key issues and that person had to vote the way their state/district wanted then we would have something
    I despise the act of lobbying congress.

I would add that there should be public executions for anyone who votes for a law that violates the constitution.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Turner View Post
    I would add that there should be public executions for anyone who votes for a law that violates the constitution.

Might cause our congressman to actually read and understand the constitution before they voted!!!!!!!!!!