The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for upland hunters

Blizzards of 77 and 78 hurt, along with farming practice. I haven't hunted wild birds on a 'farm' in a long time albeit the escapees from habitat seek refuge in the occasional fence row on neighboring ones.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Im_with_Brandy View Post
    I like my dog to be steady to every flush and gun shot. Regardless if its a wild pheasant or grouse. If your worried about runners teach your dog to track birds.
    Thats one strategy, but you better have your track shoes on and be prepared for quite a workout. Additionally this strategy can lead to disturbing way more cover and scattering way more birds than its worth for me.
    This strategy is also not suitable for a driven hunt utilizing drivers, flankers & blockers
    Experience has taught me that it is far more efficient to have that dog running from the get go to get that bird captured ASAP. When a wing shot bird hits the ground they generally have a split second of confusion, which the breaking dog takes advantage of to get the bird.
    If you want to give a winged wild pheasant with two good legs under it a bit of a headstart, then you have vastly underestimated that bird IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Blizzards of 77 and 78 hurt, along with farming practice. I haven't hunted wild birds on a 'farm' in a long time albeit the escapees from habitat seek refuge in the occasional fence row on neighboring ones.
    We still had strong wild populations well into the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    If you want to give a winged wild pheasant with two good legs under it a bit of a headstart, then you have vastly underestimated that bird IMHO
    Zactley. Well not to mention the dog probably 'tracked' and found the bird to begin with, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    We still had strong wild populations well into the 90's.
    Then they're still there. Go get some exercise and teach your dog not all fields are sprinkled with 'em.

Then they're still there.....
    They aren't.

They aren't.
    Hear it all the time around here. Nope - no birds. Like I said - good for the guys who know different. Just like bird releases and preserves - they keep the riff-raff out.

Hear it all the time around here. Nope - no birds. Like I said - good for the guys who know different. Just like bird releases and preserves - they keep the riff-raff out.
    If they were here, like they used to be here, I would see them at the road, getting gravel.

They aren't here anymore. They don't have a secret gravel stash, deep in the woods.

If they were here, like they used to be here, I would see them at the road, getting gravel.

They aren't here anymore. The don't have a secret gravel stash, deep in the woods.
    If that's your barometer you probably won't get any. You have to get out in the fields and hunt for 'em. With your dog not your truck.

If that's your barometer you probably won't get any. You have to get out in the fields and hunt for 'em. With your dog not your truck.
    I do.

But, it's nothing like it used to be. Not even close. Hardly even worth it.