The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: 3 Handed Cast Help

Default 3 Handed Cast Help

Well I've begun 3 handed casts. My dog is now 6 and a half months old. She know right back and keft back and left over and right over. I started throwing two bumpers that are two different colors one is solid white and the other is black and white striped. For some reason she won't pick up a white bumper but she loves the black and white one. Why won't she pick up a a white one?

What happens if you use both white ones?

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Have you force fetched this dog? if so, it's not done.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

woodducks, you definitely should get in touch with Shawn Grady. He lives in Eufaula and trains with/works for Dan DeVos in the winter when Dan is in town.

Shawn has some very nice dogs himself and spend time training them the rest of the year. I think he may be working for the Lakepoint State Park now, so he gets off work about the time you get out of school. He knows dogs and is a great guy who will help you get going.

I have lost his phone number but I know his Mom is a barber/hair stylist in town. That would be a good lead in finding him. Tell him Jack Stevens gave you his name and said he is the best retriever guy in Alabama!

Good luck.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Other than what Evan mentioned re FF, put away the black and white stripe and only use the white for a while, then mix it back in.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Easy to proof.

How does the dog respond to a cast where bumper is feet away from him or her?
    Sit dog remote position, place bumper at a distance of 3 feet away to the dogs left, and give a right hand cast.
    sit dog in remote position, place bumper3 feet away behind the dog, and give a back cast.

How does the dog respond?
    You didnt mention in your original post that the dog has been FF'd. Has She?
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 04-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Well I've begun 3 handed casts. My dog is now 6 and a half months old. She know right back and keft back and left over and right over. I started throwing two bumpers that are two different colors one is solid white and the other is black and white striped. For some reason she won't pick up a white bumper but she loves the black and white one. Why won't she pick up a a white one?
    Well, I looked back at a few of your previous posts. Judging from the fact that you have all ready shot doves and ducks for this very, very young pup is the reason for working on casting. You mentioned loosing shot birds which might be remedied if your pup knew how to handle. .

The problem with that approach is the pup is being asked to do what you need now before the pup learns "other things" it needs to know. There are skills your pup needs to have in place before attempting three handed casting. What have you done to prepare him?

Normally, pups that are that young are rarely ready and/or prepared in terms of skills to adequately do a full blown three handed casting routine. 3HC normally follows solid basic OB, FF, CC and pile work. There are very few pups as young as yours that have really solid OB. Three handed casting should be taught in the context of a program, not just something ventured "out of the blue".

That's not fair for the pup and in the long run very inefficient. The idea that wondering why the pup prefers one type of bumper over another is of low priority.

JS's suggestion about getting in touch with someone (he gave you a name) that is familiar with retriever training would be an excellent solution to your problems.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 04-17-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Are you following a training program? If not that would be the place to start. Even if the person mentioned above can help some, you still need a program to follow.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"