RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Does not want to bring bumper back.

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Breck 
#1 ·
My puppy is 3 months now. Up to a week ago he would bring the bumper back everytime.I was working him four or five times a day, but only for a max of five retreives. This last week I back off to only a couple times a day. I thought I may be pushing him to much. Now he is laying down with the bumper and will not bring it back or he tries to go around me. Should I use the rope on him and make him come to me or should I wait till he is older. I do not want him to get a habit that will be hard to break him of. Retired.

#2 ·
Wow! Four or five times a day with each session being five retrieves. That's 25 retrieves per day. Did I understand this correctly? If so, I'm not surprised he won't bring it back. The dog is probably bored. Give him some time off. Then cut back on your training drastically. Let him be a puppy for a while. He's only been home a month or so.

Don't train with him every day. Try every other day or every third day.
Try 3-4 retrieves per session.

My suggestion would be to get Hillmans Training a Retriever Puppy and follow that program. Or Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings.

#3 ·
I only do about 3-5 retrieves a day and I do put a check chord on him just in case I need it. And I'm always sure to quick while he is still showing enthusiasm so that he doesn't get too bored. You could always try live birds as well, perhaps a shackled pigeon, to get his excitement up. But just let him get a taste, perhaps once for 2 days, then hopefully he will get excited about retrieving again.

#4 ·
So you didn't get the Sound Beginnings dvd did you?
Order it tonight, watch the whole thing, then come back to this thread and tell us what you're doing to entice puppy to return to you.
Until you get dvd, for now as soon as pup reaches bumper jump up and down, make stupid puppy noises and when you get his attention start walking the other way. he will follow. Have a 15' clipped to his collar so you can step on it when he runs past you.
Dont take bumper from pup right away, pet praise and roll on the ground with him. then take it gently.
buy the dvd.

#6 ·
Yeah 25 retrieves for a puppy is way too much. I'd give him a week off and like said above only work with him every 2-3 days and keep the retrieves down. I keep a check cord on my pup sometimes just to have control if needed. If your pup shows lack of excitement after the week off maybe try a pigeon wing taped to a bumper to see if that will get his excitement back up

#8 ·
Right Bert, Pat Nolan has some good training methods and has posted some good videos on YouTube.
Retired, search Pat's website and YouTube for his other videos. They will be helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.