RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Some ideas for angle entries

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Bob Samios 
#1 ·
My last 2 dogs have a problem with angle entries into the water on blinds. They want to square early and get in the water. This is obviously due to an imbalance in my training and they are not comfortable.

What are some of the drills you do for this. It has not been a problem with marks, only blinds.

Thanks
Dawn

#3 · (Edited)
Chair Drills.
Place chair with white coat near waters edge just to the side of line to blind. Place Chair on other side of channel or pond at exit point.
If you're working on multi entries/re-entries, like 3 or 5, teach last third of blind, then last 2/3 the the whole thing all with chairs.
Come back and run without chairs.
Criteria for recall is dog needs to brush past chairs on land and while swimming head "reasonably close" to "right at" next chair.
This will get you where you want to go..
use for teaching angle entry on cheating marks as well.

edit..
your bumpers should be visible to a swimming dog. Prop one up sitting vertical at waters edge. Same for marks but have thrower toss one on land behind target bumper.

#4 ·
I try to find a spot where I can set up several angle entry as a pattern. Start at water edge run your pattern. Continue to back up over time,up hold your standard as you back up. When you feel this is going really well, go find a new spot. In my opinion this is some thing you have to maintain, more or less depending on the dog.

The other pattern you could run, find a square pond. establish a pile on other side that would be a square entry. Then move your line to make more of an angle entry.
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj15.html
Here is also some idea from dobbs dogs web site.

Good luck
David wolfe

#6 ·
Sight blinds in a small rectangular pond or across a channel. Initially use a large white bumper and send close to the water's edge. The swim should be short the reward quick allowing to run multiple blinds with the water to your right and left,without fatigue. As you achieve success increase the angle of the entry and your distance from the water's edge.

#9 ·
In the early stages I would use a pile to increase distance but not the angle changes. The dog will have a tendency to enter the water the same way & at the same spot to get to the same pile. Okay for distance but as the angle changes the dog needs to enter the water differently.

JMO

Tim

#12 · (Edited)
Tim said:
Okay for distance but as the angle changes the dog needs to enter the water differently.
In the three photos there are three different piles (setups). Each is placed closer to the corner of the pond providing three increasingly more difficult (and different) angles of entry.

A dog runs four bumpers from the pile at the "easy" angle while gradually moving back for distance. Then a second pile is placed to create a more difficult angle (and so on). The shrubs stay in the same place (just move the line). There are essentially three different "angles/lines" and they do not have to be completed in one session (depends on the dog).

edit: The "faux' shrubs are made from plastic electric fence posts with three small "hanks" of raffia attached to the tops. At the end of training season, the "raffia" goes back on my boat blind.

#13 ·
Great idea! We will use this as soon as the ice melts (plus a few degrees) in the Erie area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.