The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: My Pattern field layout...

Default My Pattern field layout...

Here are a few of the legs to my obstacle course/pattern field. I bring all of the young dogs up through this field working them in stages as they are capable of advancing. I simultaneously run cold blinds with the trainees while making the advancements through the course. I routinely run the older dogs through the course to maintain solid lines, honesty, stop/go, etc.

Leg 1

Leg 2

Leg 3

Leg 4

Leg 5

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Leg 6

Legs 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 (10 is the cross leg. The straight on shot is in the pic below this one)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

Thanks for this post Keith! Very timely. Good time to ask a question I have been wondering about..... Will these grounds be dedicated to ONLY pattern work? In other words, do you use them to run marks and cold blinds also? I am running basic 3 legged PB, and started doing walkout double blinds, but am looking to develop a diverse, established pattern field, but wasn't sure if I would take those grounds out of the marking rotation? I'm guessing this a dedicated pattern setup, due to the close proximity of the pattern blinds??

Thanks!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Yeah, this is pretty much restricted to pattern work. I am blessed with many other options for cold work so I could dedicate this for a specific part of my training.

KF

Thanks Keith. I know there are probably too many variables to mention, and each dog has different needs based on their current level of training, but how does this pattern field fit into your typical young, transition level dog's weekly training regimen? Are you typically runnning a couple of the more basic blinds with the less advanced dogs on a daily, ever other day, etc..... basis? Are you typically trying to present cold blinds that may reflect the work you are currently advancing on the pattern field?

Probably a hard/vague question to answer, huh?

Thanks

Are you typically runnning a couple of the more basic blinds with the less advanced dogs on a daily, ever other day, etc..... basis?
    Yes. I start with the channel...shorebreaking, re-entry work, then de-cheating the entry. I then move to the log section where the drills are really just big no-no drills. I do this until they can run both the logs and the channel from the center mound in the same session...may take several days to get there.

Are you typically trying to present cold blinds that may reflect the work you are currently advancing on the pattern field?
    Correct. I use the field to provide tools that I can employ in cold settings. I strive to teach the concepts here then transfer to a bigger stage and cold presentations.

I have been here several times and this is a well designed pattern field. The distances are moderate, about 100 yards at longest but there are many key concepts that are taught here. For the young guys, it can be shortened up and the more advanced dogs can be run from a central mound where lining and focus are worked on.
    Keith does this with a good teaching attitude and the dogs look at it as recess after they have mastered the concepts. When I was there last week, one of Keith's Open dogs wanted to "play" and jumped on the mound and wanted top play the game. Stuff like this is great for attitudee as well as keeping the dogs tuned up and the idea of going straight and fighting factors gets reenforced in a very positive situation.
    I am clearing about 5 acres at the bottom of the hill behind my kennels and am going to put some thing like this together.
    If a person has a 3-5 acre space that they use for training or a landowner has some ground that is not for farming, it would be well worth while to put some thing like this together. Logs, hay bales, dirt mounds, uncut and cut vegetation strips is all you need. Pretty cheap except for the time involved. The water does not need to be real big, but it needs a couple of points and channels for the concept work.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Keith and Mike, thanks for the replies. I have a spot in my pasture that has two angled ditches, creek and a couple small potholes of water. Am going to see what I can come up with.