The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Anyone using the Hawx E-Collar?

Default Anyone using the Hawx E-Collar?

Was looking at the Hawx collar and wondering if the society had much to say about them. Anyone have some insight?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I have had one now for about a year. Just seemed like a good deal when I upgraded the Bumper Boy. The unit appears to work fine but really only use it when I am traning with the BB - nice to run everything off of a single unit. I found the the controls to be somewhat complicated compared to the TT units I own.The impluse settings appear to be significantly different from other units and when the response to corrections didn't match the responses I got from my TT's I placed the unit on my arm to compare and found I needed to use continuous pressure at slightly higher levels. Additionally I was suprised to receive a second collar in the mail a few months after I bought the first. It appears they may have had some problems with the first units out so they sent out replacements. I am not totally confident in the unit and can't shake the thought that the unit may fail and stimulate the dog or worse. Hence I reserve it for the training grounds.

Yeah I would suspect that a 3 on Hawx may not be the same as a 3 TT's. So you are saying that where you would use a "nick" on TT that it took continuous due to the "nick" being too short on the Hawx?
    Kendall Layne

Dogs didn't seem to pick up the 'nick' pulse seems too short and impluse is lower. Normally when I use the collar I use the continuous setting using button to pulse as appropriate set 1 to 2 levels higher depending on the dog.

Personally and (without malice) I have been taken aback by how the product has been promoted and it's intended use for methods of correction over what I consider proper e-collar conditioning. It's hard enough to get folks using a collar correctly (and fairly) on a dog. Think most would agree if trained properly - you're not burning Fido hunting. And if you do, go back and train better.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Well, my thoughts are on proper use of the collar...I don't prescribe to the "burn them for screwing up" method, so I understand you stance. I'm more concerned with how it operates, since I already have Hawx BB launchers. It would be nice to cut down on some necklaces...
    Kendall Layne