The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: long gun problems

blake,
    lots of good advice here. also imho, i would suggest that you not bother showing your young dog the short gun at all. come out of the holding blind and show the dog the long gun only. the dog will usually have no trouble if you ease back a little pulling or if you ease forward a little pushing to see a short gun after they watch the long bird down.

blake, i watched a small crew of my subcontractors pour and finish 300 yards of concrete one day recently. they made it look so easy i told my mom i wouldn't mind doing her 3 yard patio and walk myself. it almost killed me. the competitors in that central arkansas derby you went to see were made up of many time nat open and nat am qualifiers, a nat open winner, some guys who have made multiple fc afc dogs, some of the south's top young dog pros and very respected amatuer handlers/trainers. they make it look easy at the trial. their dogs make it look easy at the trial.

you have a nice dog and can likely be competitive but you still gotta do the hard work all those guys who made it look easy already did. remember, you are looking for small, almost imperceptable, incremental gains in performance daily. focus on the four derbies you want to run next spring. this is like timber hunting in bayou meto, to quote my buddy blake, "if you don't know where the holes are you won't be successful and will just make it a long day for everyone else."
    john mccallie

There have been some great suggestions. Unless I missed it seems singles off multiple guns has been left out. Stick men will be the cheapest training equipment you make. Plastic fence post from tractor supply 1.99 and a t shirt on a hanger attached to the top. It's good to have a helper when you start but sound on electronics will work. Make at least 5 stick men. My favorite on focusing on gun stations is the w configuration. Setting up short stations at 50 and long at 100. You can also do the Christmas tree set up or double hip pocket. I train alone most of the time but have found using wingers and stick men I can teach a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    There have been some great suggestions. Unless I missed it seems singles off multiple guns has been left out. Stick men will be the cheapest training equipment you make. Plastic fence post from tractor supply 1.99 and a t shirt on a hanger attached to the top. It's good to have a helper when you start but sound on electronics will work. Make at least 5 stick men. My favorite on focusing on gun stations is the w configuration. Setting up short stations at 50 and long at 100. You can also do the Christmas tree set up or double hip pocket. I train alone most of the time but have found using wingers and stick men I can teach a lot.

...Bonjour....
    post 14
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Blake, I had the same problem this past weekend at our first Derby. Dog wouldn't look away from giant "live flier station" to the long memory bird. Got lots of great advice and today we did our first training session on it.

I'm a newb, so you get what you pay for, but it really worked well:

Summary: start long gun singles close in and gradually move gunner back, with short station staying the same.

1) Right side of field set up big short station: in my case = two folding chairs with a white towel and a broom set upright with a white shirt waving in the breeze. A small cat crate with 2 pigeons in it and a few duck decoys for good measure. station was 50 yds from line over to the right at a tight angle to where the marks were to be thrown. I let dog sniff bird crate and check out the station first.

2)Left side of field, I set up my gunner about 5-10 yds further back from flier station but on the right. Mark was thrown angle back to land in middle between left station and gunner. After retrieve, put dog in holding blind and moved gunner back 40 yards. Ran mark. Dog back in holding blind, gunner moved back another 40 yds. I brought dog to line, made her stay on mat while I ran out and shook the bird crate and made a commotion. Came back to line and focused her on long gun and ran her. She got mark, but was a bit distracted by bird station on way out.

Tomorrow, we'll pick a different field and do a similar set up with more difficulty.
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 03-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.

As an extension of Blake's question, how would the more experienced folks here approach the walk to the line given that the dog has shown a propensity to lock onto the short gun? And is there anything you can realistically do along those lines to get the dog's focus off the flyer crate?

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    As an extension of Blake's question, how would the more experienced folks here approach the walk to the line given that the dog has shown a propensity to lock onto the short gun? And is there anything you can realistically do along those lines to get the dog's focus off the flyer crate?

My 10 year old FC's always looked for the flyer before looking at the other guns. They know where the action is.

Yes, you can come out of the holding blind from the side farthest from the flyer. And you can make them stop and try to get them to focus on other guns. But, if you make too big an issue of it, you sometimes create a bigger issue.

You simply need to work on getting them to see guns in addition to the flyer. Do the drills mentioned here. In addition, when you throw the long single with a short gun out, and the dog never looks at the long bird, you may want to send the dog immediately. When it screws up, correct with a nick, then start over.

Head swinging (fixating on the short gun) is something all dogs do and need work on most of their lives. Early on, alot. Later, less. It is one of the reasons that singles and drills like the ABC drill need to be part of your training regime)
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Ted, that's the answer I both expected and feared. It doesn't take them long at all to figure out the flyer crate. My dog and I will be doing these drills ad nauseum, although my dog seems to like the long one more than the short one.