The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dog barks one time when sending on marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Here's what the rulebook says:
    Section 10. In Junior, Senior and Master Hunting
    Tests, a dog shall come tractably at heel and sit promptly
    at the point designated by its handler and remain
    quietly where placed until given further orders. Dogs
    that bark or whine on line, in a blind or while retrieving
    shall be scored low in Trainability. Loud and prolonged
    barking or whining is sufficient cause to justify grading a
    dog “0” in Trainability.

In reality, good judges don't make a big deal of the situation you described. There are other references to barking in that it is a "minor fault" unless prolonged.
    There is a difference between an "unruly" dog and a dog that is fighting every instinct he has to stay under control and lets out a YELP of excitement and desire when released to get him some bird.

At least some judges see it that way, I know I do.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Sometimes.......
    Yup. Retired a six year old now deceased from FT who started with a young dog yip.....tryed everything! I have a six year old now got rid of the yip mostly , a chronic breaker. Broke last six amateurs. Push in one area, comes out in another. I think we are talking about puppy whines/barks , but, my attennas always go up when I hear the N word at the line! N word meaning noise.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Yup. Retired a six year old now deceased from FT who started with a young dog yip.....tryed everything! I have a six year old now got rid of the yip mostly , a chronic breaker. Broke last six amateurs. Push in one area, comes out in another. I think we are talking about puppy whines/barks , but, my attennas always go up when I hear the N word at the line! N word meaning noise.
    Good analogy. I trained with Ritz (FC-AFC DB's Cracker of Clubmead) his whole life, Ritz was unbelievably talented, obviously accomplished, but he had issues and fixing one led to another. The best analogy I heard was from my training partner Jim Mitchell who was Don's nephew, Jim said dealing with Ritz issues was like pushing in on a water baloon, it would just pop out somewhere else.

John

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I am quite clear what the OP was referring to, noise once released.
    A yelp on release.
    It is not a mark down for training.
    So I pick my fights.

Not referrencing line manners at all.
    Been down that road.

And, it has not gone away, some dogs just want more.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

BTW---mine sits, quivering, until released, then lets out a YELP and gets him some bird!
    Didn't used to be that way....................
    I think you and I are on the same page with this. I remember you went down this road some years ago and as I recall Randy provided some help, so you clearly have some worthwhile insight to the problem and where it can lead.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I think you and I are on the same page with this. I remember you went down this road some years ago and as I recall Randy provided some help, so you clearly have some worthwhile insight to the problem and where it can lead.
    I can tell you, I can take the yelp upon release a lot better than what we used to have.

Another thing, to the point, I trained recently with an accomplished FT person.
    A solid trainer.

Guess what her new puppy does???

I firmly believe that the kind of noise I am talking about (energy, anxiety, prey drive) is hereditary.
    This person has a few dogs, trains the right way, has been doing it a while and this pup is VERY vocal.

I also have another theory I have noticed related to anxiety.
    A simple observation, nothing but imperical data to support my hypothesis.

Wanna hear it????????
    Stan b & Elvis

[QUOTE=John Robinson;1086569]Good analogy. I trained with Ritz (FC-AFC DB's Cracker of Clubmead) his whole life, Ritz was unbelievably talented, obviously accomplished, but he had issues and fixing one led to another. The best analogy I heard was from my training partner Jim Mitchell who was Don's nephew, Jim said dealing with Ritz issues was like pushing in on a water baloon, it would just pop out somewhere else.

John[/QUO
    Had a bitch out of him qualified all age at 17 months all downhill from there. Gave her to my daughter to run in hunt tests and she became the MH queen. She refused to give me a sit on the line, don't ask her to pick up a long retired with a flyer station out, get two thirds of the way, then start to curl back. Push in one area another would pop up!
    I never saw him run, but, I got her as a one year old for a puppy trade, so maybe wasn't all her fault.
    Earl Dillow

[QUOTE=road kill;1086575]I can tell you, I can take the yelp upon release a lot better than what we used to have.

Another thing, to the point, I trained recently with an accomplished FT person.
    A solid trainer.

Guess what her new puppy does???

I firmly believe that the kind of noise I am talking about (energy, anxiety, prey drive) is hereditary.
    This person has a few dogs, trains the right way, has been doing it a while and this pup is VERY vocal.

I also have another theory I have noticed related to anxiety.
    A simple observation, nothing but imperical data to support my hypothesis.

Wanna hear it????????[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely...

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Yes, absolutely...
    Sent pm, pretty bizarre theory, isn't it?
    Stan b & Elvis

the noise i'm talking about is after marks are down and the dog is in position and waiting on his name to be released. right after you say his name he launches off the mat/stand/box and gives a little yelp. it is a prey drive and it is instinctual. but i dont think it should be tolerated. instinct and prey drive says to get to the bird the fastest way possible (run the bank) and to avoid the water if you can. it shouldnt be tolerated. same applies.

why would lardy (or any other pro) correct this behavior and make a point to show it on his dvd if it is no big deal?

now granted if its an older dog then its going to be near impossible to overcome. if its a pup i think it is easily corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    the noise i'm talking about is after marks are down and the dog is in position and waiting on his name to be released. right after you say his name he launches off the mat/stand/box and gives a little yelp. it is a prey drive and it is instinctual. but i dont think it should be tolerated. instinct and prey drive says to get to the bird the fastest way possible (run the bank) and to avoid the water if you can. it shouldnt be tolerated. same applies.

why would lardy (or any other pro) correct this behavior and make a point to show it on his dvd if it is no big deal?

now granted if its an older dog then its going to be near impossible to overcome. if its a pup i think it is easily corrected.
    I am anxious to learn how.
    Stan b & Elvis