The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Homemade Bumper Boy Bumpers

Default Homemade Bumper Boy Bumpers

Has anyone tried to make thier own BB bumpers using a 3" bumper for better visibility at longer disatances? Using the metal insert from the original BB bumpers I don't have the tools or skill to make those myself. My idea was to take a 3" bumpers put the insert in it and as close to perfectly centered as I could and fill the rest of the bumper with expanding foam. Would this be too heavy and make for very short throws or could it work? Those BB bumpers are very hard to see past about 150 yards unless you have the perfect background.

Daren
    Daren Galloway

BB makes bumper wraps and streamers for $2.50 each to add alot more flash.

These are reversable white or black:
    http://store.bumperboy.com/ProductDe...%2DBumperCover

Here are the streamers:
    http://store.bumperboy.com/ProductDe...de=bb%2Dstream
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

The white streamer tape available at TSC is all I use to drastically improve visibility at a distance.
    My problem is replacing lost BB bumpers.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I tried doing exactly what you suggested. The foam is not strong enough to withstand the launch pressures. The bumper also split. I had bumpers made for me by the retriev-r-trainer folks that were 12x3 canvas that worked much better. The bumper boy bumpers are very well made. I would just add more flagging.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the bumper boy flagging on it but it seems like the bumper comes off the unit so fast its hard to pick up in some lights. Really wish the bumpers where 3 inch and the black and white was split like most bumpers so you can always see the black and the white. would help seeing them on the ground as well.
    Daren Galloway

Next question has anyone used the bango teal? They look like they would be more visible, similar to an ATB. Good or bad experiences?
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    Next question has anyone used the bango teal? They look like they would be more visible, similar to an ATB. Good or bad experiences?
    They fly too fast. Flagging slows them down but the BB bumpers are still better. You could put two sets of black and while BB flags on each bumper to slow them down even more.

I have though about attaching a 8 inch square of black and white vinyl on the four corners so it acts like a parachute of sorts. That might slow the bumpers and make them more visible.

Ok thanks for your insight. I like the convience of the BB's especially when I'm teaching a double and can throw the long bird as a single then come back and run the double without reloading, or on blind drills running past marks and poison birds but for actual marking training very far away they are not the best.
    Daren Galloway

one of our guys has these white plastic (maybe tyvek) wraps that go around the bumpers. it velcros on and adds a little weight to the bumper and visibility to it as well. i want to say that they are made by BB?