The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataracts?? Who has delt with this in a young dog? 14 months

Default Cataracts?? Who has delt with this in a young dog? 14 months

Hey guys, I recieved a phone call that no body ever wants to recieve. The trainer that has my dog was having a hard time with my dog seeing longer marks 80+ yards. He was using Snow Geese for large profile white bird out of his wingers to help him see them but once he took the duck call and gun shot out of the picture the dog wouldnt move off the line by calling his name. He could get him to go by using "Back" as he has been forced to pile etc. So he decided to bring him in the vet and he was diagnosed with Early Onset Cataracts at 14 months of age. Has anybody ran into this problem? Surgery and outcome? Just thinking of all my options right now of what my future will be with my young guy?
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

Yes, junior cataracts, hereditary, it's been a long time, Golden Retriever, don't know if anything can be done? It is a heartbreaker start by an exam,then contacting the breeder. Good luck
    Earl Dillow

Don't make any decisions until you've had the dog checked out by a boarded Ophthomologist. They will give you the best information on how to proceed.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    Don't make any decisions until you've had the dog checked out by a boarded Ophthomologist. They will give you the best information on how to proceed.
    The breeder I got him from is taking him to see an Opthomologist this Friday to get real answers so until then no decisions are getting made.

I have a 4 year old black female that has a mature cataract in her right eye. She has had since she was very young. When I took her to the ophthalmologist he said that she has never been able to see out of that eye. We have done nothing about her existing cataract. Her left eye must be abouve normal because she still marks very well. She looses some depth perception past 200 yards but other than that she is solid. Another thing is that when pictures are taken of her at night her good eye shines like a spot light, not sure if it is compensating for her bad eye or not. She is a hunting machine, if you were to hunt with her you couldn't tell she was blind in one eye.
    HR Rockerin's screamin eagle "Henley"

Welcome to my world. Earl is correct in that they could be junior or juvenile cataracts and are hereditary. My dog Maddie was diagnosed with juvenile cataracts at 4 months old. We noticed that she couldn't even see the marks at 30 yards. Juvenile are different than mature cataracts. Maddie has them in both eyes and they can be seen real easily when using inside lighting. They look like a large crystal in front of the pupils. They can differ in size. Maddie can see out the side of her eyes, but no movement at 20 yards (I would be happy with 80). When she returns from a mark, she only sees blurred figures and has to be close to reconize me. I have her eyes tested every year and so far they have never changed size. Surgery can be done, but with juvenile cataracts the chances of the retina detaching after surgery goes up to 50%, compared to 5% for mature cataracts.If the retina detaches, that eye will be completely blind. At the time, about 6 years ago, the cost for each eye was $2000.00. The eye vet talked me out of it because of the odds. Better some sight than none.
    The good thing is, they can still be trained to be excellant hunt test dogs and hunters. We did have to change some of her training methods, but she was like any other dog in training and made the same mistakes, pulling to suction, cheating, drifting with the wind, squaring, etc..All you need is a good solid training program. One of my friends training with me and was a big help, kept telling me, "she doesn't know she has a handicap". Maddie can easily do marks out to 200 yards and blinds out to 300. She may not see the ducks coming in while hunting, but she retrieves every one. Pheasant hunting is her favorite as the birds are in her face. If you have the patience and a lot of love, you can do anything with your dog. "blinddogmaddie"
    Last edited by blinddogmaddie; 03-26-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums

My boy blitz is 2 yrs old and was diagnosed at 1 with catoracts
    To the date he has 203 wild retrieves and 3 jr passes
    The eye dr told me his are very small and may or may not get any bigger
    Keep the faith !

A client of mines lab has just been diagnosed with cataracts. Vet said it would cost $2500 per eye.

My bitch couldn't see past about 60 yards, especially if the sunwere in her eyes. She ran the derby and for the part would hunt, not hook, behind the gun. She recieved her share of green ribbons, JAMs. Someone suggested we have her eyes checked and was diagnosed. The problem, breeder, would make good, but, we had become attached to her. Had her spayed and she became a hunting dog, lived to about 13 years old. Towards her later years she lost most of her vision. Lesson learned when purchasing a pup make sure the eyes are checked and cleared.
    Earl Dillow

Thanks for all the notes, it does sound like he can and will make an outstading upland dog for a few years before going completely blind. I am fortunate that the breeder I got him from has been more than accomodating in every way possible from picking him from the trainer (8 hour round trip) and bringing him in for a second look at an Opthamologist (paying out of his pocket for) and to boarding him for 3 weeks (without charging boarding fees) until I capable of driving down to pick him up. The breeder has also offered to help pay for surgery in the amount of what I payed for the dog if that was the route I wanted to go or give me a replacement puppy. If it wasnt for the breeder this whole situation would be much more difficult.