The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cataracts?? Who has delt with this in a young dog? 14 months

Mine had them since he was 6 months old. At 13 years he could catch a fly out of the air it never seemd to affect his vision
    Good luck with your pup.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

This is tough to say the least. One of my dogs (a Toller) was diagnosed at 1 year with early on-set (posterior) cataracts. After not being able to notice a bumper thrown at 25 yards we had him checked at Colorado State Univ Vet Teaching Hosp. His cataracts were in both eyes covering about 90% of each eye directly in the center. We were counselled by CSU Vets and were told the risks. As His cataracts were on the back(posterior) of his lenses there was danger in damage when removing to avoid detaching the retina and making him blind in that eye. We decided on going ahead and removing the cataracts and implanting new lenses. The vet told us if one eye went well they would continue on to do the other one. Thankfully all went well and within 6 weeks the dog was out in the field doing what he loved best with no vision problems. The cost of the surgery at that time (2003) was estimated at $2200.-$2400. for both eyes. The final bill was just over $1400 plus post-op eye drops and other meds. Check with your opthamologist, get all the info you can and trust the doctors. I am glad I did. Glad to speak to you if you like. Jerry Forster 719-338-1052 Good luck with your pup.

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    The breeder I got him from is taking him to see an Opthomologist this Friday to get real answers so until then no decisions are getting made.
    Any update???

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Any update???
    Yes sorry I have been very busy over the weekend. The Opthalomogist said the Cataract is in the back part of his eye and is really affecting his long distant vision and thought he will make a really nice upland dog for many years to come. He also said they wouldn't recommend surgery until he is almost blind or is running into objects, and there is no telling how long that could take... They said it could be never so time is the only thing that will tell. So for the most part all pretty good news and am excited to get him in the upland field this fall.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

That's good news. Did they suggest any supplements that may slow the development of it?

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    That's good news. Did they suggest any supplements that may slow the development of it?
    No suggestions on supplements, they really suggested to let nature take its coarse and let him do his own thing until his sight had noticeably changed.
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

This is the first time I've heard of the inherited juv cataracts in Labs being discussed. As a Golden owner, I had first-hand experience with the juv cats in Goldens, back in the 70s. In fact, it was that issue that made Golden people fanatics about annual eye exams.

With Goldens, the first generation that they are detectable, the size of the cats is usually small, and rarely have any affect on vision. In fact, since I had an accidental breeding of two such dogs (1971), even the next generation did not seem to have any vision impairment. The actual mode of inheritance for this in Goldens has not yet been defined. Originally, it was thought to be incompletely penetrant dominant. More recently Dr. Aguirre believed it to be recessive (though I'm not sure if he still holds that opinion).

At the time Golden people culled from breeding all affected dogs, and within 10 years, the incidence of the defect was reduced by about 1/3 (from around 30% affected of those examined in the early 70s, to about 9% by 1981). Since then, I've heard that the incidence is down to 5% or less ... yet, it still turns up here and there in lines where there have been several "clear" generations.

I'd be interested in hearing what the theories are of the inherited, juv cataracts in Labs.

In Goldens now, due to the incidence of pigmentary uveitis, we try to examine eyes on all dogs until they die; don't just stop at age 8 as many people used to do. And we try to get all offspring checked since if one of them turns up affected, it could provide us with a clue that the gene could be present in other related dogs (although we don't really know for certain the mode of inheritance for this disease either).
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.