The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trace(Hunt Dog) jumps and catches a Canadian Goose

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    The day after Shawn and I judged the minor stakes last Fall, he and some partners loaded up and went on the road for the real thing....not a trial.
    Exactly my point .
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

....what the heck happened to my topic

It got derailed , and folks started talkin' bout choking chickens when your hunting with your buddies and how that wasnt right. Then something about ,copyrights and lawsuits...but Chris came in and cleaned up the mess.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Whether we like it or not, the games we love, whether hunting or dog games, are subject to the whims of politicians and the input they receive from their constituents. We are fortunate that many in our group are passionate about our sport, politically savvy, and can work with politicians to preserve our hunting heritage. I understand the viewpoint of those that strongly believe that we shouldn't have to "sugar-coat" our activities. But the bottom line is that the vast majority of the American public does not care to see us shoot game, much less the more gruesome side of dispatching what we hunt. Heck, they don't even want to know how the chickens or cows that they eat are dispatched. The anti's are out there, and they just love finding images of us that can be used against us.

Its been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. Why do you think that the pro-life ads have pictures of either a beautiful baby... or a gruesome scene of an aborted fetus..... because it sends a message to those who view it.

I'm sorry, but I have to side with HPL on this one. All he said was it was a great video at the beginning, but the dispatching of the goose at the end didn't add to the great footage at the beginning.

Flame me if you want, but I've worked the Washington scene for a couple of agencies and am sensitive to how our great sport is viewed by the non-hunting public. The majority of them do not have a strong feeling about what we do... we don't need to send them messages that move them to a side that opposes us.

Sorry, Brother Chris, for continuing this, but I feel pretty strongly about how we are viewed by the general public.

My 2 cents...
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

hpl,
    so what you are saying is:

reader discreation is advised, this description may be too graphic for some readers

the boys who have killed, scared and constantly ran their mud buddies through the rafts of grey duck are gone home to south carolina and georgia and it's wednesday on the all public, all the time tennessee river. the gadwall are dive bombing from the sky towards my set and appear to be finishing only to bump at 75 yards, over and over and over and over again. those that hunt the gadwall constantly, know how easy and then conversely how frustrating they can be. then attempting my fourth set of the day i pull into a slough and flush 400. i immediately put two dozen decoys 85 yards away and behind me on the far bank. i ram my boat blind into a tree top sticking out in the lake 20 yards so i can shoot out the back and throw one lone malard hen out in front of my position. i see a wad of 40 come off the river into the slough and approach my decoy spread on the far bank. the entire wad then bumps and turns off the far spread and gives me their bellies at 25.

at this point, i am not supposed to retrieve them, dance on their heads and giggle like a school girl? the young people i recruit into hunting want to have fun, not go to a funeral!
    Last edited by roseberry; 03-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    It got derailed , and folks started talkin' bout choking chickens when your hunting with your buddies and how that wasnt right. Then something about ,copyrights and lawsuits...but Chris came in and cleaned up the mess.
    Well ok then

I actually saw the vid pop up under recent vids on LiveLeak. (Which rarely shows anything to do with hunting) This site doesn't support Liveleak so I searched it on YouTube and found an upload of it so I could embed it here.

Pretty cool that it turns out you're on the film and honestly after Trace caught the Goose I stopped it, went back to watch the jump again and then closed the page. I didn't even see the neck incident.

Anyway, carry on folks. More so about the LEAPING GRAB though ...eh? lol

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    hpl,
    so what you are saying is:

reader discreation is advised, this description may be too graphic for some readers

at this point, i am not supposed to retrieve them, dance on their heads and giggle like a school girl? the young people i recruit into hunting want to have fun, not go to a funeral!
    No, what I'm saying is if you are going to perform that kind of asinine display, I would rather that you didn't record it and then play it back on the internet for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Clearly you misunderstood my position. I saw nothing that would embarrass me on that video. I saw an exceptional feat performed by a possibly great dog. I saw a hunter handle a game-bird in a completely appropriate manner (unlike Roseberry's (I hope fictitious) account). I saw an act (dispatching a wounded game animal) that I have performed countless times myself. My concern is that only about 10% of the population has ever experienced that in person and many who are not hunters, but hold no animus toward hunters, might find the dispatching disturbing. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    Well ok then

I actually saw the vid pop up under recent vids on LiveLeak. (Which rarely shows anything to do with hunting) This site doesn't support Liveleak so I searched it on YouTube and found an upload of it so I could embed it here.

Pretty cool that it turns out you're on the film and honestly after Trace caught the Goose I stopped it, went back to watch the jump again and then closed the page. I didn't even see the neck incident.

Anyway, carry on folks. More so about the LEAPING GRAB though ...eh? lol
    That whole video WAS about the leaping grab. Clearly Shawn has the capability to edit video (who doesn't these days?). It could have stopped as the dog handed the goose to the handler. Perfect. No need for the rest.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    (unlike Roseberry's (I hope fictitious) account). I saw an act (dispatching a wounded game animal) that I have performed countless times myself. My concern is that only about 10% of the population has ever experienced that in person and many who are not hunters, but hold no animus toward hunters, might find the dispatching disturbing. That's it.
    i get it now hugh, only 10% of us are hunters and we are a small group. it's kinda like the gay and lesbian community that represents about 10% of the population, right? 30 years ago few heterosexuals understood what it was really like in the gay and lesbian communities so they decided they should keep things quiet, respectful and to themselves. this was done so as not to offend anyone who just didn't understand them, right?

nope, gays and lesbians had parades, got nekkid in the streets, opened bars and put themselves in enough movies and situation comedies to make us all think 60% of the population is gay and lesbian. then they got married, adopted children, recieved each others government benefits and became mainstream. and i for one am glad they did. they DESENSITIZED us.

shawn is desensitizing the public because he knows the simple truth........you can't negotiate with a terrorist, especially an environmental terrorist.

hugh i bet if my man aldo leupold went hunting with you he would say, "hugh my friend, i look with anticipation towards sharing your blind again next year as the fowl wing southward."

with me, sitting astride the radiator at the lumber store where we just bought another case of experts, he would remark, "dude, you think sherry will mind if i stay one more night so we can hammer them again tomorrow?"
    john mccallie

HPL,

For the love of god let it rest. Your point is taken and respected, but it doesn't mean I agree. If you want more ammo for your "personal" ethics crusade I've got a couple clips on my Facebook page where Trace actually caught another goose and we let it go unharmed.

There's also a couple clips on Facebook of him scaling vertical river banks to get a crippled goose, you can probably find something cruel and inhumane about that to gripe about. Honestly you may just be an anti's best friend. Before long if people like you don't stop bowing and compromising to wacko liberals we won't be able to even show a duck getting shot, a fish with a hook in its mouth, a deer getting field dressed, a retriever getting force fetched or a dead duck getting tossed for fido.

How come it's okay for Gay's to be out in 2013 but it's not okay for the Real Sportsman to be out and show what really goes down in the field...double standards and bowing to liberals....I'm proud to be a sportsman, my closet door is open and I'm not afraid to show all the things that go along with it.

You have allowed anti's to dictate the way you show how you carry out a legal activity. With the reality shows that are now on A&E and Discovery like Swamp People for instance there's far more gruesome "killing" taking place than snapping a neck on a goose.

I've heard once that to argue with an idiot is pointless. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.....I call uncle...you win...I'm out...you got way more spare time on your hands than I do.

Shawn Stahl

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    i get it now hugh, only 10% of us are hunters and we are a small group. it's kinda like the gay and lesbian community that represents about 10% of the population, right? 30 years ago few heterosexuals understood what it was really like in the gay and lesbian communities so they decided they should keep things quiet, respectful and to themselves. this was done so as not to offend anyone who just didn't understand them, right?

nope, gays and lesbians had parades, got nekkid in the streets, opened bars and put themselves in enough movies and situation comedies to make us all think 60% of the population is gay and lesbian. then they got married, adopted children, recieved each others government benefits and became mainstream. and i for one am glad they did. they DESENSITIZED us.

shawn is desensitizing the public because he knows the simple truth........you can't negotiate with a terrorist, especially an environmental terrorist.

hugh i bet if my man aldo leupold went hunting with you he would say, "hugh my friend, i look with anticipation towards sharing your blind again next year as the fowl wing southward."

with me, sitting astride the radiator at the lumber store where we just bought another case of experts, he would remark, "dude, you think sherry will mind if i stay one more night so we can hammer them again tomorrow?"
    I have thought about that too. Not just the LGBT community, but also blacks, hispanics, and any other ethnic minority you can name. I'm not sure that it is an appropriate analogy though. First, the LGBT community appears to be over represented in the entertainment industry giving them an inordinate amount of influence. Second, much of the acceptance is based on the idea that LGBT is not a choice, but rather a biologically determined condition (for lack of a better term). I don't see either of those factors being on the side of hunters. For every Ted Nugent, there are probably 20 Kim Bassingers and Woody Harrelsons. There are plenty of violent gunslingers glorified in modern media, but few if any Daniel Boones. Also, tolerance of LGBT lifestyles is seen as being "progressive", hunters are often viewed as anything but.

As to your take on Leopold. Who can say. I'm really not that much fun and usually prefer to hunt solo.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com