The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 week run through

Default 4 week run through

Going to do a run through with the trainer and my 7mo YLF this Friday after four weeks of a twelve week course. So what questions should I ask? I am looking for questions that I will need to learn to continue the training after she comes home. Also what should be expected in just four weeks? No bait from Paul please.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Who did you send her to for training, if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

I would look to see if he taught the puppy what he promised you in 4 weeks. I don't know how anyone could promise you anything with a dog in 4 weeks, unless it said, "we will introduce your dog too..................."

just my two cents

I would expect an improved here and sit. A dog that is now responsible for holding a dowel, dummy and bird. Probably starting/ in the process of force fetch. CC to here and a marking program.

I would recommend looking at this as you getting trained on how your dog is being trained. Have had more than a few friends send their dog off and expect it to work for them as soon as they get it back, just to complain their dog did not learn a thing, when in fact, the dog probably learned a lot but the handler is lacking. Typically a beginner three month program allows for about a month of obedience and simple retriever work before anything else starts.

Pay special attention to what is being taught, why and what technique. Pay special attention to your trainers body language, voice and volume. You will want to replicate this. Learn how he reads your dog.

Do not rush your trainer! Let him follow his system. Ask what the dog does well and what he does not do so well. The trainer will be fixing the holes you created in training but most likely there will be new ones cropping up. You will need to fix the new holes created and a good dialogue from the beginning will help in discussing issues with the trainer down the road.

Have a good/realistic idea of what you want as a finished product and communicate it with trainer. This will help the trainer meet your expectations as a professional. Be careful for what you ask for and the time frame it is needed in. A good trainer will tell you the good and the bad. If he only speaks of good or agrees with everything you ask, be extremely wary.

Don't be afraid to ask questions you already know, you may get surprised.

Take notes and make a list of questions before you go.
    Erik B.

Erik, Iam not expecting great leaps in just four weeks and letting him do his job with no pressure to hurry. I really like what you stated about watching his body language, voice and volume. I am asking for a good foundation that can be built on for years to come.

kpolley, He is just starting force hold as she is starting the fourth week. Basic obedience is solid. Sit means sit, whistle sit, here heal. Doing 100 to 150 retrieves not to hand yet but will hold for a short time. It's what I need to learn that I'm worried about.

Try to recongnize the standards your pro is training too and hold your dog to those same standards.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Erik, Iam not expecting great leaps in just four weeks and letting him do his job with no pressure to hurry. I really like what you stated about watching his body language, voice and volume. I am asking for a good foundation that can be built on for years to come.

kpolley, He is just starting force hold as she is starting the fourth week. Basic obedience is solid. Sit means sit, whistle sit, here heal. Doing 100 to 150 retrieves not to hand yet but will hold for a short time. It's what I need to learn that I'm worried about.
    As much as you can learn and exactly as the other fellow said what ever your pro teaches the pup be sure you know how to teach the dog that so you can reinforce when you need to. Keep your standards high and have fun. Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

The question I have at four weeks is: Has the dog setteled in ok? The second question is: When should I come over so you can train me. I only use pro's that I have researched and trust, so the reality is I am too ignorant to ask any other question. Once they have been on the truck a while i usually ask monthly these questions: How's he doin? What do I owe you? and if the pro is local: When shall I come over to throw/shoot birds?

Hey Doug already started as a bird boy and will continue after the first six weeks. Seems funner when my dog is on the line. The best training for me right now is watching and retaining.