The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower shoot

Default Tower shoot

I am planning on taking my dog to a tower shoot this weekend. It is for a DU sponsorship and I am supposed to shoot, but I believe that I will work the dog instead. Does anyone see any negative side effects of taking a dog to the shoot? Several people have told me that with all of those shots at once it may scare the dog. Any advice is much appriciated!! --- Corey

depends a lot about your dog? how old? been around guns? what training has he had? what are your plans for the dog? you don't give enough info for anyone to give a good "opinion".

Sorry for the lack of information. The dog is 1.5 years old. He has been introduced to gunfire and will do double retrieves and some blind retrieve work. I'm hoping this will be his first real season in the duck blind with me, although the times he has been thusfar he has not be allowed to retrieve, just observe and work on OB. The amount of gunfire he is used to is what is used in training. A shot or two when the bumpers are thrown. Thanks for any help.

Best part about tower shoots are the number of no birds you get in, did one a couple weeks ago and got over 200 no birds and a dozen retrieves, can't get that kind of training very often
    Daren Galloway

I recomend all dogs that attend our shoots be @ least senior level.chessie hunt 3 16 13 004.jpg

Can I come next year jd6400?
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH) work in progress
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( work in progress, Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Do not try to shoot and work your dog if this is the first tower shoot for the dog. To much of a chance for your dog to have problems, unless you have complete control. let this trip be for the dog. Pay attention to other folks dogs also. You may have some there that are not as well trained as yours, and may be aggressive. Take your leash, e collar, whistle and water. I participate in about 6 to 8 shoots a year after duck season closes. With anywhere from 150 to 300 birds shot per day, this will make a young dog get excited ! It is a great opportunity for your dog to get retrieves in the off season. Just be prepared, with all the shooting and dogs that are not familiar to you or your dogs, it can be a challenge to keep yours under control. That is why I suggest you don't shoot, just run your dog!

Sportnclays-- that is what I believe will be best. I have talked to several other members who will be carrying their dogs and I hope it will be a good experience for mine. If nothing else it should be good practice with honoring other dogs.

I would do it!

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Can I come next year jd6400?
    Your in my friend!!!Only requirement is you must like keystone beer and seafood gumbo!!!! Jim