The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower shoot

Here s the deal,the last thing the operator wants is yelling,screaming dogs,handlers wondering where their dogs are,dog fights etc.The shooters probably won`t know a nice job vs. a bad,but they will notice dogs and handlers out of control.If dogs and handlers are not gentlmen they will not be asked back.
    Our last shoot was all all chesapeakes,most were at least MH level and I couldn`t have asked for a better group of handlers. Jim

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

One of the most scary things for me at a tower shoot is who is shooting. I used to go to tower shoots put on by a sporting clays club and they would have corporations employees doing the shooting. A FEW of the executives thought that they could shoot anything regardless of SAFETY. One particular time a shooter had shot a bird down and I was sending my dog. About the time I was going to release my dog a bird came right at us about 3 feet off the ground directly in line with the retrieve. My dog was an HRCH and was pretty steady but as I had left my heeling stick at home I had rummaged around in my truck and found a cut off golf club I used as a blind pole. To make sure my dog did not launch I whacked him across the chest with the cut off golf club. . Saved my dog . Gave the CEO a good cussing and thought it was done. Found out later that the a$$hole had gone to the club and said I was beating my dog with a golf club....NEVER HAVE I been back.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Concentrate on Steady and No-bird. Thats it. If a dog can maintain steady at a tower hunt, any test or hunting situation will be a breeze. Typically we don't run blinds at these. Too much of a chance to pick up bad habits (send the dog, gun goes off, and a bird lands right in front of the dog). Don't try to pick up every bird that falls, as soon as it falls, there will be breaks between rounds and you'll have plenty of time to pick up stragglers. Be cautious of the dogs "area of the fall" hunts. They won't have alot of time for prolonged hunts for birds. See the scenario that I outlined above about blinds.

Steady, steady, steady.
    Bob Foster

The reason I do NOT do tower shoots anymore is because of the possibility of spitting one bird out , as another is falling.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

No problem. I may be small but seafood gumbo no problem love it
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Wear tons of orange stuff. Also wrap a boat load of orange survey ribbon around your dog. If some one yells at you to get down, or duck, do it, then go take their gun away. Know that most of the folks at a tower hunt are really hunters, and don't care about your dog.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

I probably have run 12 - 14 tower shoots this season. a couple with 1,000 birds. we have had as many as 80 -90 retrieves. I also run Trials with my guy. steadiness is something I will always work on ( having broken before in trials). My objective for running tower shoots are : sit on the mat and don't move until I tell you.SIT MEANS SIT!!! Retrieve the bird I send you to. All retrieves are under 150 so I can let one drop 5 ft. in front of us and then direct him to retrieve one a little longer out. I can enforce selection. As he watches missed birds go down, I can refocus his attention to HERE and MARK on another bird.These shoots for me are always about control. I never send him on a blind in a tower shoot. There is just way to much sent out there for him to deal with. SAFETY IS OF COURSE THE MAIN ISSUE. The shooters are well lectured on safety. The owner has given us the complete green light to call out a shooter for being out of line in the area of safety. I will continue to participate in these shoots. I also train 5-6 days a week for trials. Hope this helped. Concentrate on your dog. If you want to shoot leave him home and concentrate on shooting. Don't mix the 2 at such a young age.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

Quote Originally Posted by sportnclays View Post
    Do not try to shoot and work your dog if this is the first tower shoot for the dog. To much of a chance for your dog to have problems, unless you have complete control. let this trip be for the dog. Pay attention to other folks dogs also. You may have some there that are not as well trained as yours, and may be aggressive. Take your leash, e collar, whistle and water. I participate in about 6 to 8 shoots a year after duck season closes. With anywhere from 150 to 300 birds shot per day, this will make a young dog get excited ! It is a great opportunity for your dog to get retrieves in the off season. Just be prepared, with all the shooting and dogs that are not familiar to you or your dogs, it can be a challenge to keep yours under control. That is why I suggest you don't shoot, just run your dog!
    Picked up at a Tower Shoot last month, and couldn't agree more. Take advantage of the training opportunity, and leave the gun at home!

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Can I come next year jd6400?
    Please no. I pheasant hunted with mike. You would need a rifle to work over his dogs. lol

I didnt my first tower shoot this year. You dont want to bring a dog that you cant fully control.
    A couple things you want to make sure you dog can do with tower shoots.
    run blinds
    handle on marks
    call off of marks
    no birds
    Very steady.
    cross other dogs on the way to and from birds
    not switching
    poison birds
    have other marks and shots going off around them while he is working a bird or on his way in with a bird.
    you will have dogs working on both sides of you sometimes as close as 30 yards and you might have to send you dog up the middle of them for a bird.
    It is a blast but takes a lot of control.