The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip guarantee question

Default Hip guarantee question

Here's my situation. I sold a pup to a guy last year the pup is 14 months old right now. I sell all my dogs with a hip eye guarantee until 26 months. With an official ofa result. Both parents hips are excellent. He emails me says he got hip prelims done on his 14 month old pup, the results came back mild hip dysphasia. He is wanting me to give him his money back and he wants to put the dog down. I told him i have absolutley no problem giving him his money back as soon as he tested her at 24 months and got an official rejected result. i tried telling him that there is a chance her hips will tighten up as she matures. And to give her a chance, but he is hell bent that nothing will change and they will only get worse. Well long story short he flew off the handle says I'm trying to get out of the contract this and that. First off all what would you all do? Second have any of you seen a pup prelim with mild dysphasia and actually test good after 2 years?

That situation is simple to answer. Myself, I would give him his money back now in exchange for the pup. I would have advised just as you did to wait until the pup is older. But given what you described I would be asking for the pup back immediately, NOW ! I would want that pup back and he can have is money !

Yes, the guy who bought the pup is making a big mistake and not following the contract..... But my priority would be the right thing for the pup.
    Last edited by obx4me; 03-25-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    "EIC clear or carrier means your dog is not affected and will not show EIC symptoms."

Do the right thing.

If you have the stipulation in your contract that a dysplastic result from the OFA in a 24 month old dog warrants a refund, that's what you should stick to. Prelimbs, don't meet the requirement.

I also can't believe that he is serious about putting a 14 month old dog down, due to a mild result from a prelimb. I can understand wanting a refund, and being allowed to keep the dog. Or, even accepting a "replacement".

But, to volunteer to take on the expense and the pain of putting down a young dog that they have invested time, money, and emotion into over an OFA mild prelimb, is more than a little odd.

Be sure to give him his money back, and you should get your dog back immediately in exchange for the money. Somebody that would want to put the 14 month old dog down ahould never be allowed to buy another dog from anybody...ever! I understand that people want dogs with excellent phenotypic conformation, but to euthanize a dog with mildyly dysplastic hips at 14 months old wothout any other signs of hip dysplasia on the basis of xrays alone is absolutely ridiculus. Dysplastic or not, that dog deserves a better than that!

Hip dysplasia is not only genetic, but is multifactoral, as many may know. Other causes such as trauma, nutrtion, etc can play a role. I dont know what your contract says, but i would really define the method of hip dysplasia evaluation as well as age (ofa, pennhip, 2 yrs old, etc, so there is no negotiating in a circumstance like this. Keep us posted!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Thats exactly what my guarantee says. "Guaranteed to be certifiable AT 24 months of age" I was SHOCKED too when he said he'd just rather put the dog down. He said he has invested thousands in the dog and did not want to waste money on food and another exam in 10 months. Then proceeded to basically blame me for him wasting money on the prelim. blah blah blah. He got me a little fired up, called me a few names and questioned my integrity. I could go on and on......

I'd say that he doesn't like the dog, for other reasons.

Return his money , get the dog.

My guarantee is that the dog will not become LAME from hip or elbow dysplasia , I never guarantee an OFA rating...too many variables including OFA !
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

My first questions .... How do you put "thousands" into a dog as the owner of a 14 month old pup?? Think I'm with copterdoc on this one ... There is something else going on here. Get the dog back THEN give him his money back.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

WOW. That's just - crazy. I feel like it's a two part answer for me. I wouldn't have a problem with you sticking to your health guarantee - it says OFA at 24 months. I've had two situtations similar to yours over the years. One was a guy that didn't have the OFA done until the pup was 3+ years old. He sent me an email and then got smart with me, and never sent me any documentation. I have a 26 month guarantee. I stuck to it. Mainly becuase of his attitude. The other was a 1 year old that started having problems, her vet said hip dysplasia, they took her to a top notch University vet program and had more tests done. They said she needed surgery. The folks called and were heartbroken. Sent documentation as soon as I asked for it showing where they had the surgery done and had her spayed. I refunded their money, even though they didn't have an OFA result. It just felt like the right thing to do.

I would want to get that pup out of that home as quickly as possible. Not becuase it's the right thing to do by the owner, but becuase it's the right thing to do by the pup.

To answer your last question - I personally have not seen a prelim come back better at 2 years old.
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

.... I'm looking for a nice started female.... If its a she?

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.