The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hip guarantee question

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    My first questions .... How do you put "thousands" into a dog as the owner of a 14 month old pup?? Think I'm with copterdoc on this one ... There is something else going on here. Get the dog back THEN give him his money back.
    8 months of training at $600 per = $4800. Give the guy his $1500 back...or $2000 for that matter, get the pup...and keep him yourself, or sell as a started dog with NO hip guarantees clearly communicating the potential concern upfront - and possible "fix" him/her. Lots of folks wanting a started dog with no intent to breek with 8 months of pro training would snatch him out of your hands for $2000+.

Give the refund and get that pup back ... quick. There is more of a problem with the owner, probably not the pup!!
    HRCH Gold Dust Sable SH "Sable"
    HR Alabama's Smoke on the Plains SH "Rounder"
    HRCH Moon River's Southern Breeze SH "Breeze"
    HRCH Abe's Magic Marking Bailey SH "Bailey"
    HR Hardscrabble's Dust 'N The Wind "Dash"

? PUT THE DOG DOWN ? I think the guy is trying to squeeze your ears. Or...the guy has
    done something to the dog that he wants to hide. Or he would just show up at your door
    with the dog and the pix. Maybe the animal cops need to pay him a visit. MAYBE should be on another
    thread but ? will a vet put a dog down for that reason ?

my 2 sents

The pup is 14 months old and the chap doesn't seem to have any attachment to the dog whatsoever. Regardless of how he says the hips are graded, pay him the money and get the dog back. You don't want one of your puppies with this guy. There are all kinds of reasons that could be at the heart of the issue but don't worry about trying to figure them out. Pay him the money, say thanks, and run like the dickens.

In a year you can get the films re-shot and see. But no matter what, no matter if the dog grades dysplastic then or not, you don't want the dog with him now. Get her back.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Welcome to the world of a breeder. If you stay in the business you will run into great people and a very few idiots. Guarantees are nice BUT in reality, when a pup leaves your kennel YOU have absolutely no control on what happens to that pup. What conditions was it raised in. What food was it fed. Was it injured by the buyers kids pulling legs out of socket, etc. The list of 'what if's goes on and on. Give him his money back if he returns the pup, at his expense, ASAP. He doesn't need a dog and especially a nice well bred pup.

Even if both parents are OFA Excellent, there is still a 25% chance of having a pup with bad hips. You just have to do your research and then pray all goes well. HD is out there but as a breeder we all do our best to lessen the odds of problems.

We have kept a pup or two whos prelim looked iffy and at 24 months it came back excellent. Took a friends pup for a second opinion after an OFA FAIR rating at 24 months. Other Vet took xrays and submitted them and they came back Excellent. Position of dog has a lot to do with the OFA results. In the future it wouldn't hurt to add a second xray by a Vet with lots of OFA experience.

Sold a pup to a 'runner' who ran the 8 week old pup on concrete and asphalt every day and damaged his hips and shoulders. Threatened law suit - so I figured it was cheaper to give his money back. It was a good lesson to learn more about the person buying one of our pups. If it doesn't feel right, don't sell a pup to that person. If you have taken a deposit, return it. That is your protection against idiots and morons.
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    8 months of training at $600 per = $4800. Give the guy his $1500 back...or $2000 for that matter, get the pup...and keep him yourself, or sell as a started dog with NO hip guarantees clearly communicating the potential concern upfront - and possible "fix" him/her. Lots of folks wanting a started dog with no intent to breek with 8 months of pro training would snatch him out of your hands for $2000+.
    I totally understand the math ... But we are assuming the guy actually did have the dog on a pro truck. With his fly off the handle attitude about the dog his "thousands" could be "his" time training and dog food!

No matter, I'd get the dog and the paperwork in hand first THEN give him the money.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Had a dog with mild dysplasia. Hunted him till he was 10 and he lived to 13 and hips were only a minor inconvenience to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Duck View Post
    Get the pup back. I had a pup preliminary mild. Then came back good at 24 mths.
    Get pup back. Wait and re do the xrays. Results may surprise you.
    Also been told not to X-ray right around a heat cycle
    Get the dog back... I would also ask for the complete medical record on the dog from the vet..there may be far more too this dog's health than just mild HD on a preliminary. I've had pups that were mild HD under 12 months and passed at 2 years of age... I've even had a couple of clients rant at me over a OFA fair which is still a passing OFA rating.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)