The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lining issues

Default Lining issues

I have been working on FTP with my my lab and she has a tendency to "lock in" on something other than the pile. Meaning she will be lined toward the pile but is locked onto something to the left that she thinks is the pile. My question is how do you convey to them that "hey your looking in the wrong direction"? I assume the answer is to heel her and re-align until she looks in the direction of the pile, but this takes several times usually for her to lose focus on whatever she focused on. Even with my hand out in front pointed toward the pile, she still isn't looking in the right direction. This isn't all the time, if she sees the pile she will lock onto it. So how do I correct this so she isn't searching for something but is taking my cast and looking in the direction I am pointing?

I don't know how long you've been working on this and maybe you've already done it, but you can start by "identifying the pile." Sit the dog and walk out and throw a bumper to the pile to show her where the pile is. You could make it easier for her to see the pile by running down a slight hill where she can see it too.

You should line the dog up without your hand. You're not to point to where she should go. Line her up and when she's looking where you want put your hand out as a cue that she's looking in the right direction and is about to be sent.

Hope this helps, good luck with your dog.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    I don't know how long you've been working on this and maybe you've already done it, but you can start by "identifying the pile." Sit the dog and walk out and throw a bumper to the pile to show her where the pile is. You could make it easier for her to see the pile by running down a slight hill where she can see it too.

You should line the dog up without your hand. You're not to point to where she should go. Line her up and when she's looking where you want put your hand out as a cue that she's looking in the right direction and is about to be sent.

Hope this helps, good luck with your dog.
    I have done this and it does help. Eventually, she will need to do this without seeing a pile though. After many repetitions, will this come in time?

She is probably bugging to the pressure. Looking away from the pile is an avoidance response.
    Bert Rodgers

If you're doing it right it'll be fine. I don't know how you're doing it. If you follow a program correctly it'll be fine.

There's a lot to it though. You are teaching the dog and some dogs are real good at pretending that they don't know what you mean, as a way of getting out of doing it. Could she fit in that category?
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    If you're doing it right it'll be fine. I don't know how you're doing it. If you follow a program correctly it'll be fine.

There's a lot to it though. You are teaching the dog and some dogs are real good at pretending that they don't know what you mean, as a way of getting out of doing it. Could she fit in that category?
    Could be, but I don't think that's the case in this situation. Maybe I'll shorten the distance up some and progress back at a slower rate. Thanks for the help and thanks for the tip on not putting the hand down until after she is looking in the correct direction. Didn't realize I was doing that incorrectly

It sounds as if she is "bugging". Bugging is where they won't look in the direction of the pile. Thinking if they don't look out there they won't have to go. Persistant bugging can be corrected by saying "heel" and stepping forward and nicking the dog. Do this as soon as the bugging begins.

However before that, move closer to the pile so that the dog can't help but see the pile.

In FTP the pile should be mostly visible in the beginning at only about 20 ft or so. Then gradually move further out. My pile work is done at only 35-40 yds in mowed grass (back yard). Do lots of remote sits casts.

Mostly the dog can see the pile. Be sure and teach the pile location.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

FYI your hand is not a rifle sight, but mearly a "yes that's the right way and you're about to go." The hand is commonly missunderstood as a directional pointing device.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I agree with what Wayne said, and with your idea of moving closer. Without knowing all your details, I would pile the bumpers up so they can be seen, and work your way out from the pile. Build on the success of the shorter retrieves.

Cootman

I have found that as he is lined up and looking in the general line, as he moves his eyes and head ever so slightly I would say no... no.. when is not on the precise line and good... good... when he has the line I want. he has learned not to move from the good and locks in. I then put my hand down to indicate get ready and lastly back. They say a dog won't lie to you I don't know it that is 100%. He once in training really wanted to go right, he looked right with his head and his eyes. I real healed him got his body lined, his head, and I thought his eyes. As I gave the back.... Oh yea he went right. Did he lie to me!!! I guess this is what they mean by reading your dog. Good luck!!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX