The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lining issues

Based on what you wrote, I don't see this as bugging. The dog is locking in on something, dogs that are bugging do not do this, they avoid looking. Also, I would ask, how do you know what your dog is looking at? Just looking at the back or top of their head won't tell you what their eyes are focused on, especially if what you think they locked on is fairly close to the pile. Have you done any pop-up marks to get a read on the dogs head/eye set to better understand this?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You could help her understand with something clearly identifiable such as a bleach bottle on a stick or a road cone. Phase it out as you gain success and confidence

It sounds to me like you are trying to create your own problems.

The dog knows where the pile is. Just send the dog. Quit worrying about lining.

In fact, most of your sends should be from a front finish remote sit. Not from your side.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It sounds to me like you are trying to create your own problems.

The dog knows where the pile is. Just send the dog. Quit worrying about lining.

In fact, most of your sends should be from a front finish remote sit. Not from your side.
    This!!!!!!!!! Absolutly THIS!!!

Most(if not all at the beggining) sends from remote position.. Drumm that back pile into the dogs head... Make sure he understands its location , and Go!!!!
    Spend Time on this.... It isnt a period of DAYS like you might read.. It depends on the dog..

Work on a good front finish, a straight square sit when he returns to the front finish position.. He will prolly look away from you, but dont make an issue out of it,,, Just send..

I learned there is a LOT to pile work..... It takes time...

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

This is jumping the gun a bit,, But,, Think about the location of your dog when you are giving casts when you run a cold blind..

The dog is sitting square, facing you,,waiting for a cast.
    You really want the dog to understand that "Back" cast means MOVE!!! and go away from You...

Your lining drills come later.. Get that Back pile drummed into the dogs head,, from MOSTLY remote sits...

Do you feel your FF is really solid??

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

As mentioned before, FTP and lining are two different stages in a program.

Yeah, you're worried about the head movement and so on. Fido is probably still young (correct?) so Fido will work it out.

As an aside: I suspect some dogs with a lot of hunting experience might create for themselves a tendency to turn their heads while going out to a mark or blind because of the multiple birds down and the dog wanting to remember/look-for-movement/whatever. As a hunter and a trainer/handler (non-active at the moment), I don't mind this. In fact my dog has done this during a hunt where she saw movement of a cripple and went to it instead of the dead duck in front of her (I didn't have to say anything to her). Obviously this doesn't relate to a young dog going the FTP....
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by big gunner View Post
    I have found that as he is lined up and looking in the general line, as he moves his eyes and head ever so slightly I would say no... no.. when is not on the precise line and good... good... when he has the line I want. he has learned not to move from the good and locks in. I then put my hand down to indicate get ready and lastly back. They say a dog won't lie to you I don't know it that is 100%. He once in training really wanted to go right, he looked right with his head and his eyes. I real healed him got his body lined, his head, and I thought his eyes. As I gave the back.... Oh yea he went right. Did he lie to me!!! I guess this is what they mean by reading your dog. Good luck!!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!
    One of the hardest lessons to learn is that sometimes they are going where they are going regardless. And, although they will normally go where their spine is pointing, they will absolutely lie to you on occasion.

So, do you "win the fight" at the line or do you kick them off, stop them quickly, and handle to where you need them to go?