The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Putting Deposit on First Hunting Pup *Pedigree*

Default Thinking of Putting Deposit on First Hunting Pup *Pedigree*

Hey guys. I've come a long way since I joined this forum and have been researching hard for a while now. I took some of your advice and turned my search away from an individual pup and more towards finding a breeder. Well I think I've found a winner! I've been in contact with this breeder multiple times over the past 2-3 months and have gathered a very positive impression. I'm posting up a pedigree of the litter that I think I'm going to put a deposit on. Look it over and let me know what you think. Being new, I don't recognize names like you guys do, but to me it looks to be a very promising litter? Be sure to let me know if anything stands out to you, both positive and negative... Price is $700 for males I believe and they are scheduled to be born in late April.

http://www.whiteoakretrievers.com/pe...organXRoxy.htm

Oh, forgot to mention. Here are health clearances and information for sire and dam.

Sire:
    AKC # SR23990406
    UKC # R189-630
    DOB: February 25, 2005
    FC-AFC Calumets Super Sonic x FC-AFC Maple Creeks Maggie May
    OFA: LR-167009E24M-PI (EXC);
    LR-EL34715M24-PI (Normal)
    CERF: LR-46025/2008–36
    RD/OSD Normal
    CNM: Clear EIC: Clear

Dam:
    AKC# SR63616803
    DOB - 07/17/2010
    CNM/EIC Clear
    OFA # LR-199063G24F-VPI OFA#LR-EL55586F24-VPI

These are great people to deal with. Bought a pup from them 9 yrs ago, couldn't be happier. Looks like a good breeding, with health clearances to match.

Holy SMOKES!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

What does it mean by "Hypothetical breeding of" at top of pedigree?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    What does it mean by "Hypothetical breeding of" at top of pedigree?
    The pedigree was put up on the website whenever they decided to breed that dam with the sire listed. At that point, the female was not even pregnant yet. However, since then the breeding went as planned and the breeder said they will doing an ultrasound on Monday. I guess they just haven't updated the pedigree yet. At the time it was posted it was still "hypothetical." Since all went well, it should now be "official."

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

It means that they (the breeder) went on GoodDogInfo's website, went the breeding section, went to Hypothetical Breeding, plugged in the desired Sire name, then the desired Dam name, and voila! Instant 5 generation pedigree that can be emailed to themselves (or others!) and/or saved onto their computer for future reference, such as a litter ad Great tool and really, as much as I use it, very inexpensive.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

madd,

the sire has accomplished a great deal and is a nice dog. i am no pedigree snob but i note that the top and bottom are well titled in the second and third generations. you didn't say what your goals are but i will categorize some what if's with my opinion of likelihood of success posted as 5=very high, 1=very low:

if you are looking for a good hunting dog........look no further. 5
    if you are looking for a good hunt test dog........your chances of getting one out of this litter that could hrch and or mh are good. 4
    if you are looking to get a start in field trials and want to run some derbies........it could be possible to get a competitive dog in this litter. 2
    if you are looking for a litter to produce a field champion and the cost of your next pup is no object........you might do a little more research, find titled dogs you like in the first generation too, spend a little more, and improve the odds. n/a
    if you are looking to brag about pulling a field champion out of a litter of $700 pups........give it a shot, there just might be one in there? 1 (but it's a 1 no matter which breeding you choose)

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

I don't know the dogs, but I've met Barbara Kirby. I think she's topnotch.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    madd,

the sire has accomplished a great deal and is a nice dog. i am no pedigree snob but i note that the top and bottom are well titled in the second and third generations. you didn't say what your goals are but i will categorize some what if's with my opinion of likelihood of success posted as 5=very high, 1=very low:

if you are looking for a good hunting dog........look no further. 5
    if you are looking for a good hunt test dog........your chances of getting one out of this litter that could hrch and or mh are good. 4
    if you are looking to get a start in field trials and want to run some derbies........it could be possible to get a competitive dog in this litter. 2
    if you are looking for a litter to produce a field champion and the cost of your next pup is no object........you might do a little more research, find titled dogs you like in the first generation too, spend a little more, and improve the odds. n/a
    if you are looking to brag about pulling a field champion out of a litter of $700 pups........give it a shot, there just might be one in there? 1 (but it's a 1 no matter which breeding you choose)

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I appreciate it everyone. Yea, I haven't got to meet Mrs. Kirby in person yet but we have spoken multiple times on the phone and she seems like she really knows what she's doing and is very genuine in her breeding practices. I hope to meet her tomorrow when I go to a local hunt test that she is judging...

Roseberry, I'm primarily looking for a good hunting dog and a loyal companion. I do believe I would like to participate in some hunt tests, but that is not priority at the moment. Like I said, this will be my first hunting dog (parents had several labs in the past but all were just family pets). I originally planned on getting a cheap pup, but the more I researched the more I learned the importance of good bloodlines and especially health clearances. I think these pups will fit the bill all the way around, at least for my purposes.