The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Historical Day!

Does it have anything to do with the Red State article this morning? UB

Dear Morning Briefing Subscriber:

The United States Supreme Court has concluded oral arguments on California's Proposition 8.

In this morning's Morning Briefing I noted that gay marriage and religious freedom are incompatible. The gay rights movement must drive from the town square those who disagree and must punish and silence those who refuse to surrender their believe that marriage is between a man and woman.

Many people howled in protest over email this morning, denying the incompatibility. The irony is that many howling against me will not be on the side of the church and Christian when the fight comes.

But the fight is already here. Read this to start educating yourself.

- Christian photographers Elane Photography in New Mexico were approached by a same sex couple looking to hire a wedding photographer. Elane Photography politely declined citing their Christian faith and were sued by the couple under the state’s anti-discriminatory laws, and won. In New Mexico you apparently have no right to your free expression and practice of faith any longer. (Read even more about this case here.)

- In Lexington, Kentucky, a t-shirt shop called Hands On Originals was approached by the Gay and Lesbian Services Organization about printing shirts for the group. The t-shirt company politely declined and even sought out quotes and gave the group referrals to other t-shirt printers along with comparable prices. They were promptly sued by the group under Lexington’s anti-discriminatory laws and forced to comply with a lengthy investigation. The city’s power-drunk human rights commission said this:

Raymond Sexton, the executive director of the Human Rights Commission told Fox News that "Hands On Originals" will be "required by law to participate in the investigation."

"We have subpoena power and have the backing of the law," he said. "We are a law enforcement agency and people have to comply."

Leftist groups are trying to get the company evicted from their premises, the city now has school districts freezing their business with the privately owned company. Meanwhile, the owner of the company tried to defend his faith and decision in an op/ed in the paper.

- A Methodist church in New Jersey was sued for not offering its facility for use during same sex weddings. A judge ruled against them.
    - A same sex couple from California sued a Hawaiian bed and breakfast privately owned by a Christian woman for not allowing them to rent a room.
    - A bed and breakfast in Alton privately owned by a Christian couple was sued when they would not host a same sex civil union ceremony.
    - Owners of a small, privately-owned inn in Vermont declined to host a same sex wedding reception due to their religious views and were sued.
    - An employee of Allstate insurance wrote an essay online disagreeing with same sex marriage and was reportedly fired from his job as a result.
    - Catholic Charities was barred from assisting in adoptions in Massachusetts, Washington DC, and Illinois and excluded from future contracts because they declined to consider same sex couples. Sorry kids, but the agenda impresarios need to make an example.

There are even more examples. Please click here to keep reading. This fight has only just begun. Might as well stop trying to convince yourself it hasn't.
    Sincerely yours,

Erick Erickson
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Glavich View Post
    I can tell you what is really bothering me about this thread. It is not the suspense. Instead of "An Historical Day"

A Historical Day.

A and An just bother me sometimes, it makes it hard to say and read.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/a-versus-an.aspx

Gotta love Grammar Girl! I wish she had a better app, though.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

There's no magic as to the timing of locking that thread.

Personal attacks are not appropriate guys and gals. To accuse someone of doing a poor job teaching because they posted on the internet is horrible and I won't accept it. Ironically, it goes in line with some of the other disrespect for women that resonated throughout the nonsense in that thread.

If you guys want to talk about being "surprised" as to the timing, let me break out a very old analogy.

Imagine POTUS as a pain in the rear highway that a law enforcement patrol officer would rather sit under a tick infested tree and hang out, than patrol that road. But on this particular day, a speeder went by at double the speed limit. So he wrote a ticket, on the rare day that he was there.

Does that help?

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Well, I thank you, Sheriff, for keeping this horrid (but strangely hypnotic...) highway safe.

Sheriff--Knight in Shining Armor--Janitor.
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Well, I thank you, Sheriff, for keeping this horrid (but strangely hypnotic...) highway safe.

Sheriff--Knight in Shining Armor--Janitor.
    I always liked the Mosh-pit analogy...dance if you dare.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I always liked the Mosh-pit analogy...dance if you dare.
    Or perhaps the old "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen". One draw of POTUS is the wild west nature. I don't like personal attacks particularly, but until they actually devolve into threats..............?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Back to UB's post on what's happening to individuals who do not wish to participate in services to same-sex unions.

Interesting logic: if the SCOTUS declares same-sex "marriage" a civil right, that automatically makes anyone who disagrees with it a bigot.

This would mean that any Christian (regardless of denomination) or Muslim or any religion that is opposed to that practice, and who disagrees publicly would be considered in violation of civil rights law ... by virtue of their religion.

I think UB's examples (some of which I've read about previously in various places) may already be doing so within their different jurisdictions. I've been under the impression that no jurisdiction can support a law that is contrary to the rights granted by the Constitution.

Truthfully, my simple brain had been focused more on the legal details of inheritance and contracts, and was not seeing this more serious aspect relationship to the 1st Amendment. Even an atheist might have to be wary if they happen to disagree with same-sex marriage.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    There's no magic as to the timing of locking that thread.

Personal attacks are not appropriate guys and gals. To accuse someone of doing a poor job teaching because they posted on the internet is horrible and I won't accept it. Ironically, it goes in line with some of the other disrespect for women that resonated throughout the nonsense in that thread.
    The culture that I experienced during maturation placed great emphasis on individuals earning respect. There are ways that happens. If fact is bad??????

Not surprised by the lock - I did expect some attention from the moderators as that has been the MO when some folks appear to be losing. It shows in the frantic nature of their posts & is usually the precursor to complaints & action by the mods.

Have a nice day, Chris.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 03-26-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Well, Atticus will be ten on the 30th, and Raven turned six on the 24th, so it's not one of my dog's birthdays....

Hmmmmmm....
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/a-versus-an.aspx

Gotta love Grammar Girl! I wish she had a better app, though.
    Hey teach.........the link doesn't work.
    Anxiously awaiting my grammar lesson!
    Stan b & Elvis