The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pup has Cherry eye, need info please

Default Pup has Cherry eye, need info please

Pup is 19 weeks. Vet called it cherry eye, anyone deal with this before? What causes this? Vet said he takes the gland out most of the time. I wanted to get you guys opinions, does the procedure to save the gland have a good success rate? Vet said he doesn't believe that this gland is a functioning tear gland, but he wasn't very convincing. Any experience, advice, or info appreciated.

cherry eye 1.jpg

SOMETIMES a steroid eye ointment will reduce the inflamation and it won't come back. In the setter kennel, we see this sometimes. I would say I have had success with steroids 1 out of 8 dogs. I am not a vet , just saying what I have experienced. Talk to the vet, may be worth a try before cutting on the pup.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Her eye did this last week. My daughter called me at work and told me about it. By the time i got home it went down. Then sunday it was back. Vet said that if it would have stayed down it would have been fine. But now that its back its a problem. But I will call and ask about trying that.

thank you Bridget

I had a pup with this years ago. The doc did some relatively minor procedure. I can't remember what but, I dropped the pup off on the way to work and picked her up on the way home. I can't remember what the post op treatment was but it was never any kind of a problem then or later on in life. That pup died of old age 8 10 years ago.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

My 3.5 year old YLM had a prolapsed third eyelid as a pup, ultimately ended up just having the whole gland removed. Best I could figure was another puppy scratched my dogs eye as I noticed it after an hour of rough housing at puppy playtime. Third eye lid had popped back in the following morning and through the course of the day popped back out. My vet is an older gentleman who deals with a lot of gundogs, I talked to him about just stitching it back in place and was told that many times it will just tear loose and you would have to have another surgery. Since the surgery over two years ago my dog has had no problems even with the dry climate here in Alaska. I wouldnt think your dog will suffer from dry eye beings your in a more humid climate.

One other thing is you may want to contact the breeder, ask if either parent has a history of Cherry Eye as it can be hereditary.
    Last edited by thelast2; 03-26-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Thanks guys, she will be having the procedure tomorrow. Hope all goes well!!