The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Too cold to swim for my pup?

That is wrong! I'd make a statement about downtown Anchorage not being part of Alaska but it'd be hijacking the thread....
    It's hard to even drive to Alaska from Anchorage anymore.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I recently spent four days at the Lardy workshop and Mike goes by a 120 rule, the water temp and air temp must add up to at least 120 for any extended work in the water.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    I recently spent four days at the Lardy workshop and Mike goes by a 120 rule, the water temp and air temp must add up to at least 120 for any extended work in the water.
    -27 here this morning. That water would have to be pretty warm!

[QUOTE=Frank G;1087304]-27 here this morning. That water would have to be pretty warm![/QUOT

You'd be having hotdogs for lunch, better to just run a land setup over your water.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Check the actual water temp. I like 50 degrees F or better. Especially to introduce pups. That usually requires an extended period in water, so make is as pleasant as possible.

Evan
    Good way to sour a dogs attitude.
    You are someone whio is on the internet constantly frequenting dog boards giving advise and promoting your products.
    For that reason you have developed a following of uninformed newcomers who think you have dog savvy

You post up 50 degrees as a guideline.
    Then when called out on it you respond that people in Alaska have a hard time finding warmer water.
    In light of the fact that you advise that each situation and dog is unique, as well as your penchant for excessive writing and detail, dont you think it might have been better to state that your 50 degree rule is only for those who have limited options
    The vast majority of Retriever people don't train in Alaska
    Pretty irresponsible. IMHO

Marc, please see my PM.

All regulars here know of your ongoing attacks against Evan as a person. It has gotten old. It continues to put me and this resource in a place that's un-necessary and needs to stop now.

I welcome your input on training methodology differences. I welcome your debating or correcting Evan's beliefs if you feel otherwise. It can be done without the ongoing attacks though. And it needs to.

Again, let me restate, if you disagree with Evan, that's OK...that's great, but express your disagreement with a focus on the idea. Do not attack the person, do debate the advice, technique, etc.

Please comply with this request. You have a PM in this regard.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Apparently my pup liked about 35F, yesterday she got wind of a duck and took after it into the water. She gave me a look like what was that. Less than two minutes later she was tail deep getting a drink looking across the way at another group of ducks. So I threw a stick out a few feet and she went out and got it, for a sec I thought I was going to have to go in to get her but she leveled out on her own. Today she was back at it but this time we brought a bumper...Funny you get bent out of shape thinking about getting something done right and they just go and do it on their own.

It all has to do with you go when I tell you to go, you must go even to the gates of hell, you as a dog have no options not to go, water or land. Having said that , to condition a dog to there are no options, I would think the air temps are just as important as the water temps. Retriever water work must be the same as multiple land marks and land blinds. The last place after being sent is the dog sitting next to you, water or land. So why create problems with a young or even older dog trying to possible force in very cold water or in in cold air/wind. Fall water is warmer then spring ice out water.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Paye View Post
    So did you buy a pair of WADERS for your pup also???? If you cant go in, neither can a pup IMO
    How do you feel about pants?

My dogs hardly ever wear pants while we are training.