The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too cold to swim for my pup?

My rule of thumb is 45 degree water. Poor pups will have a vest on for water intro. Our water is above 55 degrees for only a month or two a year. Above 55 I think is best. Never have measured 60 degree water up here.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Great information. Is there an age when water temps don't really apply. I have a 3 year old who balked at getting in for a shore line blind at our last hunt test. The outside temperature was in the high 20's or low 30's with snow/sleet, but not exactly sure what the water temp was. 2 weeks prior she ran a channel blind and cheating marks with big fly entries. So not being de-cheated isn't the issue.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

SURVEY SAYS - Those north of the Mason Dixon Line (40th Parallel) say 50+ those south vote for 70+

I'll take it if its liquid! (not really, would not push a pup into cold water, but our Chessie will go lay down in the snow melt run off creeks and act like he's enjoying the hot tub at the Ritz!)
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I'll take it if its liquid! (not really, would not push a pup into cold water, but our Chessie will go lay down in the snow melt run off creeks and act like he's enjoying the hot tub at the Ritz!)
    Yeah, but using Chessie's is cheatin'!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

So what does every one consider a pup? Age? Body weight?

I listened to my vet, She said if they want to go let them just don't let them be inactive afterwards let them run around do some ground retrieves, keep them moving, So during the winter months here in New York we walk them down and let them swim then play all the way home, I haven't noticed any ill effects and Ive been doing it for years, All winter long,

[QUOTE=Evan;1086955]Tell that to Howard and the other Alaska trainers. Theirs never nears 70. But if you live where the water temp gets higher than 50, do it. Some folks don't have the option.

Evan[/QUOTE

Well living in Alaska I would have to say 50 degree water is probably asking a lot and 70 forget it. I myself with a young dog would not subject it to lengthy swimming sessions until the end of May more likely June(about 6 weeks after the ice goes out) when the water temps start reaching the mid 40's in the smaller ponds. Older dogs routinely work in cold water during hunting season in and out of ice covered water for four or five hours at a spell. Usually within a couple of weeks of the ice going out the older dogs are getting in the water for shorts periods. Key is watch your dog if you see it start shivering its to cold and you need to get the dog out of the water and allow it to warm up. All my dogs wear neoprene vests when the water is cold as they do trap in the heat and provide protection from abrasions from the ice.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Never have measured 60 degree water up here.
    Chena Hot Springs
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Leave the waders at home. When you are ready to get in she will be ready also.

Absolutely no reason to hurry.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.