The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too cold to swim for my pup?

Can you get them a membership at the local YMCA?

Good info, was wondering the same thing myself, thanks!
    Creighton

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    So what does every one consider a pup? Age? Body weight?
    Water force age.

Younger than that, I'll let them swim all they want. I'll throw hand thrown bumpers if they like.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Water force age.

Younger than that, I'll let them swim all they want. I'll throw hand thrown bumpers if they like.

Roger that, I'm trackin now.
    im waiting for the ice to pester off and water to warm before beginning water force and swim by with Ty (9.5mths)

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Chena Hot Springs
    They tend to frown on that up there! I thought they were going to call the police!

My wife manages the bigger health clubs up here and I haven't even been able to talk her into letting the dog in her pool! Oh we'll. June is just around the corner.

So did you buy a pair of WADERS for your pup also???? If you cant go in, neither can a pup IMO
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

I'm lucky. I live on a small lake with a power plant and there is a couple islands that are close to the warm water discharge. We just get in the boat and go play on the islands. Right now the water is in the mid to upper 60's(guessing) in the summer it's over 90 deg about all the time. I've seen wakeboarders when I have been picking up decoys during hunting season lol. I'm taking two pups to the islands next week to do some intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    They tend to frown on that up there! I thought they were going to call the police!

My wife manages the bigger health clubs up here and I haven't even been able to talk her into letting the dog in her pool! Oh we'll. June is just around the corner.
    Im sure they do frown on it, is the only place I can think of where the water is above 60 degrees within a days drive though...LOL
    Nothing worse than your dog getting a ride in the back of the patrol car just ask my wife. She was walking the dog in downtown anchorage during business hours and apparently there is a ordinance against this, her and the dog got a ride back to the truck where she had left her ID.....Still makes me laugh to think about it. Against the damn law to walk your dog on a leash even.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Im sure they do frown on it, is the only place I can think of where the water is above 60 degrees within a days drive though...LOL
    Nothing worse than your dog getting a ride in the back of the patrol car just ask my wife. She was walking the dog in downtown anchorage during business hours and apparently there is a ordinance against this, her and the dog got a ride back to the truck where she had left her ID.....Still makes me laugh to think about it. Against the damn law to walk your dog on a leash even.
    That is wrong! I'd make a statement about downtown Anchorage not being part of Alaska but it'd be hijacking the thread....

My CLF was in the Salcha river about the second week of May last year on her own! Don't know what water temp was but there was still chunks of ice on the gravel bars from breakup. In hindsight, I wouldn't let a pup (3.5 months at the time) do that again. She's never hesitated to get in the water but her water entry was never very stylish last year.

Well the last thing I want to do is make the water a negative place for him so I will just wait. The waders were a great deal on clearance and I will just hang em up until hunting season I needed them anyways. I got all of late spring and summer to get him right. Unless he goes on his own I won't even worry about it.
    My pup-Kanyon's Rambo With A Cause (Rambo)
    And my 2 year old- Ollie (my lab husky mix, she is a pheasant tracking machine! And the reason I started bird hunting!)