The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Training alone ! Pup Intro to Gunner thrown marks ???

Default Training alone ! Pup Intro to Gunner thrown marks ???

It is extremly rare for me to have anyone to help throw marks for my pup, She has been introduced to gunner thrown marks with dead birds, and bumpers both and done well ! BUT I want to continue improving her on gunner thrown marks, and not continue to have all her marks come from the side of her !

She is almost 14 weeks, so I realize there's plenty of time ! But looking for suggestions for the future, cause this will most likley always be a problem with our training sessions ! Just can't think of a way to throw her gunner marks, without her getting use to delevering back to the gunner station, and I don't want that bad habit ! OH and no There is no way I can afford a remote control gunner system !!!! Would love to have one but is not an option !!!!!

Place training is an awesome tool.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Also when the dog is steady you should be able to walk out in the field,throw the mark and then return to the line and send the dog.
    Bert Rodgers

I train mostly on my own. There's plenty you can do on your own as soon as your pup is steady, without any pricey equipment. I highly recommend getting Dennis Voight's DVD "Training Retrievers Alone." A good portion of what's shown on the DVD does involve the use of remote launchers, but there's lots you can do without them...stand alones, walk backs, send backs. If you want to do send backs, placeboard training is very helpful.

In my limited experience of training my own pup, having her retrieve to me on stand alones has not caused her to try to retrieve to the gun when I get to train with a group and someone else is throwing. Additionally, there appear to be some benefits for the dog of having at least some marks remotely thrown by the handler as part of its training. Read this article for details:

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article...ones-Page1.htm

Here's where you can order the DVD: http://www.ybsmedia.com. There's a very nice booklet that goes along with the DVD that's a great reference after you watch the DVD.

I really enjoy my training alone sessions with my pup. They're very time efficient, I'm working on exactly what my pup needs, and we both have a great time. Good luck with your pup!

Dobb's training library has some good stuff on placing the pup and throwing marks http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Place training is an awesome tool.

Bert
    100%.

Place the dog.......throw your mark. You can either send the dog from the place and returen to you, or you can move to the dog after you throw your mark and then send.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

I do place training when i dont have a gunner. I try to mix it up by sending him from the gunner station, and walking back and sending him. your dog needs to be steady to do this though. when you do this watch for signs of the dog running to you and then working the bumper. "i am having problems with that now" This will snowball on you when you have a gunner so nip it when you can...

Best of luck and keep it fun..

D

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    I do place training when i dont have a gunner. I try to mix it up by sending him from the gunner station, and walking back and sending him. your dog needs to be steady to do this though. when you do this watch for signs of the dog running to you and then working the bumper. "i am having problems with that now" This will snowball on you when you have a gunner so nip it when you can...

Best of luck and keep it fun..

D
    That's why you throw the mark and return to the line and send the dog just as if a birdboy had thrown it.
    Bert Rodgers

It is tough you can buy some remote launchers it does make life easier toughest part is getting it past your wife.

Remote launcher (thunder) changed my whole world - I train alone a lot, too. I do still use place training and stand alones, but the thunder launcher has been such a great tool for teaching young dogs to mark.
    -Barton Ramsey