The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senior Hunt Tests

Default Senior Hunt Tests

I am over analytical. I know this. But I want feedback from SH test handlers/judges. Question is-
    What is most common reason why (your dog) dogs do not get qualifying scores to pass a hunt test?
    I start in May and want to do damage control before the damage is done. Let me tap into you experience. YouTube shows 99.9% of the time dogs passing. I want to hear why dogs fail. Sorry to make you reach into the bad memory book!! Thanks.

I would say breaking is a fairly common reason for failure at the Senior level.

I would say failing more than one mark out of the four and really bad blinds. I remember seeing dogs pass with what I considered bad blinds, but there is a limit to what the judges will pass. I would thing that if you had to handle twice over the course of two series you would fail. I'm surprised at your 99% statistic, I would have expected a lower pass rate. Not to bragg but I never failed one, I still don't think there is anything close to a 99% pass rate.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Griddoc View Post
    I am over analytical. I know this. But I want feedback from SH test handlers/judges. Question is-
    What is most common reason why (your dog) dogs do not get qualifying scores to pass a hunt test?
    I start in May and want to do damage control before the damage is done. Let me tap into you experience. YouTube shows 99.9% of the time dogs passing. I want to hear why dogs fail. Sorry to make you reach into the bad memory book!! Thanks.
    Breaking on marks and honor, really bad blinds, ( not challenging the line ), sloppy handling on a mark,( letting the dog go too long before trying to handle ) Just not good enough work all around and HANDLER ERROR !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Breaking, not marking and handler error. In my experience as a handler and a judge handler error is the highest cause without a doubt. Personally I failed my first 3 senior test could not figure out why... then opened the rule book, looked into what is really required and what "Challenging the Blind" really means. How many people running a Jr or Sr test have actually read the rule book? very few I would bet. Read the book, understand what it means and you would be miles ahead.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Breaking on marks and honor, really bad blinds, ( not challenging the line ), sloppy handling on a mark,( letting the dog go too long before trying to handle ) Just not good enough work all around and HANDLER ERROR !!!!!!!!!!!!
    What I have seen is the dog is just not ready for SH let alone the handler. Wait until you can do MH work as a team and then do SH. Then you ask why do SH if we can do MH? Answer there are so many new things in SH that you need the practice before going to Master, unless you are a trainer with a wide background of handling retrievers like most pros are.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Breaking during honor and working. The most I've observed comes down to handler error. Failing to handle properly or in a timely fashion on a mark. Handling too lossely on blinds. In my opinion, Senior is the toughest level to prepare for and judge. Great desparity in dogs' abilities. Some are running master level and some are fresh out of jr. Overall, I think most failures are related to people making the jump too soon out of jr.

I'd say most people fail on the blinds. They do not maintaining control throughout a blind, just send and allow the dog to run. They are hesitant to blow the whistle, then when they do, they don't really to stop the dog, just give them hand-flick casts and end-up hoping for a hail-Mary cast or to re-gain control at the end. Problem is blind are judged beginning, middle, and end. Distance erodes control, If you lose control in the middle it is very unlikely you'll regain it in the end, and most hail-Mary casts are not considered challenging the blind.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

some good advice so far.

Have you ever watched the SH level handler that blows the whistle, and is giving a hand signal and cast before the dog has barely sat and turned, never mind had any time to concentrate on the handler. You see it all to often. In training , I always try to tell people to slow down when handling. Alow the dog to sit, and locate you . concentrate on you, then give him a handle. You get much better results that way. If you do it in training, why would you do it differently at a test.

Don't be in a hurry. Good luck this spring.
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

#1. Breaking

#2. Handler Error

#3. Weak Water Blinds