The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senior Hunt Tests

Skip Senior. Train for Master.

Great thread thus far! J Robinson, what I meant was on YouTube 99% of the uploaded video footage show dogs passing. I get why. I've only viewed 1 video senior hunt test failing. That's why I wanted some good experiential discussion on common causes of senior fails. GREAT THREAD!!!!!
    Last edited by Griddoc; 03-26-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Other than a dog taking themselves out by breaking at line or on honor, most SR test are failed on the blinds. 1 mediocre blind and 1 poor blind is not going to average out to a score of 7 to pass. No matter how good your marks are they can't get you an overall pass. Blinds are about trainability and perseverance. Will your dog take your cast and will he hold the line for some distance. Handler error occurs when you let your dog get off line, to what is reasonable, to blind. Also not continuing to handle to a mark once you start handling. Like other post said if your doing Master work in training Sr will be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by obxdog; 03-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" Andy Rooney
    "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove something is even remotely true." Homer Simpson

I learned at my first SH test that no-going on the blind is an automatic fail..
    Sean Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by simcoe mtn View Post
    I learned at my first SH test that no-going on the blind is an automatic fail..
    Yes. I have seen that a fair amount. It is sort of unfortunate, IMO, that the rules state that there can be no confusion whether sent on a blind and it is an automatic drop. However, this is one that I would put in the category of handler error. The dog is used to a certain cadence in training and the handler gets all amped up and does something completely different at the test (usually much faster than the dog is used to) and they don't go.

Well I guess I will be the first one to tell you MY experiences with Senior, INSTEAD of previous posts that say what they have witnessed from other people at the tests. I assume that means their dog was perfect!

I failed because the dog came out of the last holding blind as soon as the judged bellered 'DOG" at the top of his lungs, even though the last holding blind was 20 feet from the line.... Bailey immediatly charged around the corner, ran tothe line and sat down, leaving me in the holding blind tryin to figger out wich end of the plywood gun to point at the marks.. In the briefing,, the judge said, the test starts as soon as your DOG gets to 'X" point, no matter where you as the handler is..
    It was a walk up to start...

So Bailey beat me out of the blind, thetest started with me back in the blind fiddlen with the piece of beautiful maple plywood, Bailey took off for the go bird without me...

All I remember was the look on the judges faces,, like "what the he!!"

Another test she ran perfectly, marked everything really nicely, lined the blinds,, and all I had to do was get her through the Honor on water.. She broke!!! Big splashy close mark... The working dog was a Female also,, and I dont think Baily ever liked another Beouce on her catwalk...
    The Judge kinda politly asked me why I didnt softly talk to the dog!! I didnt understand stand that question cause a lowd bellerin "NO HERE" didnt do much.. Kinda screwed up the other dog..That dog handler look at me like I was a Homeless Troll..

Another test she failed, cause they rebirded the dude that was planting the blind. He was hidden behind a winger hide. The person that brought the birds out to him, drug the bag full across the field where she had to cross... As soon as Bailey found scent that was running away,,She told me "screw you buddy" andshe was off to find the bird/... Now I know,, I was making excuses here, but what kinda post would it be if somebody didnt make excuses.. I blew the whistle till my eyes bulged,, but she didnt listen.. I finally Yelled her name at the top of my lungs,, an she sat downnn Gave 1 cast,, and she went to the bird..
    I failed cause the judge said I intimidated her I replied "Well I tried hard to."

Just my personal experiences...
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Sounds pretty funny but I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Gooser. Realism of life can be so humorous. Must be a Colorado thing. I was in a JH test where my dog turned into Linda Blair in the holding blind. Mind you up to this point training was smooth. No lead from last holding blind in training. Now in this hunt test she needed a mule harness. Tore down the last holding blind on the land series. In the afternoon, she bucked like a rodeo bull, broke out of my grip, took off to the water and made a beautiful water entry much to the shock of the handler whose dog was on the return. He gave me the WTH stare and all i could say was my bad. They let me run her and DQd her as per rules. The next hunt test the handler whose party we crashed was the judge of the JH test. Life has her humorous moments just make sure they occur close to home. It's a long drive to SLC. These stories are what I need. Thanks all.
    Last edited by Griddoc; 03-27-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Griddoc, check your pm.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

I've judged quite a few SH tests. I would estimate that of all the failures 75% or better were for control issues. Most of the rest are for poor perseverance (switching, returning to an old fall). The tests and trials have done a great job of selecting for good markers in all the breeds. It is pretty rare to see a dog go out on poor marking nowadays, unless the judges have a bird that is not clearly visible to the dogs or fail to call a no bird when they should have.-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 03-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.