The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Crossing into Canada at Blaine WA any tips?

Default Crossing into Canada at Blaine WA any tips?

Taking a pup to Vancouver BC to fly to SK. Any tips to cross easily? Can I take puppy food over?

1. You can bring in puppy food.
    2. Firearms, especially hand guns are a no no.
    3. You will need two pieces of identification. Drivers licence and passport (because you are not flying your passport need not be currently active though your picture has to look like you)
    4. If you are bringing the pup into Canada if it is six months or older you will need to verify it has had it's rabbies vacination.
    5. If you are delivering the pup to a purchaser in Canada that is another matter and I am out of my depth in answering that question. The provincial sales and federal sales tax will apply to goods coming into Canada. Have documentation you are the owner or the bill of sale for the value of the pup. The Canada Border Service may call to verify the purchase price.
    6. If you say you are going to run a trial they may ask you with which dog or dogs. If the pup is not in competion they can ask you to leave the pup in at a boarding kennel on the US side of the border (that is the worst case scenario).
    7. They will ask you the "What is the nature of your business in Canada?"
    Last edited by Ironwood; 03-26-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Don't go to the peace arch crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Don't go to the peace arch crossing.
    That depends! If you arrive before noon most weekends, the line up going North will be pretty light...it seems to take Canadians almost the whole day to buy cheese and eggs and take up all the free parking at Bellis Fair Mall.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Find out what the value is that you are allowed to 'export' into Canada and make sure your puppy is worth lower than whatever the commercial limit is set at (or be prepared to be treated as a commercial entity and all that it entails). I am speaking from experience going the other way accross the border, I have taken a single puppy to Seattle many times to fly to new homes without issue but crossed the magic 'value' number last time when I took 3 pups, and got turned back- ended up having to use a broker because I had become a commercial exporter based on the value of the puppies and it cost me an extra day, about $400, and had to rebook flights, etc. A real pain! I have no idea if crossing into Canada may pose the same concern or not but it would be worth looking into to prevent a hassle.

On the otherhand, I have driven accross the border with puppies (coming into Canada) that I had purchased in the US and have not had much trouble. Bill of sale to show value and proof of ownership, if the dog is too young for rabies (3 months is the limit at the border) then a letter or health certificate from the vet saying so. If they have enough time on their hands they may check your website or do a search to see if the value of the puppy is being declared honestly.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

So on an even more important note : where is the best place to buy crown royal limited and how much can I bring back? Also related what's the price on Johnny Walker Blue?

Liquor is pricey in Canada. It falls under the general ruberic of being a sin taxable product along with tobacco. Look to states like Nevada if you are seeking a lower tax rate on booze. Cuba and Venezuela will have quality rum at a low price. Whiskeys are whole other matter. No cheap booze in Scotland or England.
    So cross the border enjoy the country and the people, train the dogs and try the local wines in the evening witth a fine food and good company.

My race track friends buy buy down here poor bastards. go to Cali they don't charge tax it's almost free liberals are smart at the cost of a state