The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pup Stool question !

Default Pup Stool question !

Not exactly a great conversation, BUT I do have a question ! I have a BLF thats 13 weeks old and at her last vet check-up she weighed 23 lbs. and vet said she was a picture of health, coat looked great and shiney, and weight was perfect ! (Get compliments on how much her coat shines, and how healthy she looks all the time) !

I have been feeding her 4 Health puppy at the reccomendation of the breeder, and vet said it was a really good food ! (BUT of course he reccomended Science Diet ) !

My concern is, even though she seems to be doing great on the 4 Health, when I take her out to potty, her first 2 stools (turds) are perfect, nice and firm and she passes easily ! But then everything else behind that is soft, and runny, kinda like soft serve ice cream (Well I just ruined ice cream hahaha) this has been consisent since I brought her home ! I am feeding the reccomended amount of 2 1/2 cups a day for her age and weight, and weight seems to be staying perfect at this amount, even with daily training, and playing ! everything is great with her , very happy, and energetic pup ! This is the only issues I have had, and will discuss it with my vet next weeks at her check-up, just looking for ya'lls thoughts on what could be the cause of the runny stools ?

I wish I had a solution for you but I don't because I am having the same exact problem, except my pup is on purina pro plan large puppy. My vet sold me fortiflora which he said was a canine probiotic we also we did the series of panacur added to his food but his output is still as you described with your pup. I am looking forward if anyone has any suggestions to your problem (and mine).

I have been worming with Panacur, shes tested negative everytime for worms, and she has not been exposed to any water other than at home from faucet, so not expecting Gardia (Spelling ?) plus it's been from day one of brining her home !

Coccidia(SP?)?

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    Coccidia(SP?)?
    Could very well be considering almost every one of my past puppies have had it. All it takes is eating a rabbit turd.

Also puppies just don't have fully firm stools. The first couple are firm and the rest is soft, not runny but soft.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

For what its worth.My 17week old BLM has the same only when I overfeed Him.I cut back a half cup and all is fine now.You may try that.Worked for us

I think it is pretty common with pups. As long as it is not diareah runny then soft serve after a firm poop just seems to happen from time to time. My 16 week old has this happen as well. They poop a whole lot at this age lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    Could very well be considering almost every one of my past puppies have had it. All it takes is eating a rabbit turd.

Also puppies just don't have fully firm stools. The first couple are firm and the rest is soft, not runny but soft.
    Agreed, I was also told they can get it via the milk from their mother and if you treat one, you need to treat the entire litter. It is indeed common and it is not hard to get rid of, but easy for them to get it again if you allow them to relieve themselves in the same area where the "germ" has been and where they have been going. Basically it is a PIA, no pun intended