The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Water Blind...

Default Water Blind...

This is what some of the dogs ran today. 337 yards total length. 4 re-entries in a howling cross wind...steady 20mph with gusts over 30mph. Scented dike road, angle exits/re-entries, liliy pads, grass, channel that winds around behind the dike road...and to top it off I had ducks stationed on the hay bales pictured on the right where the wind blew MAD duck scent right to the location where the big re-entry was required.

Last edited by Keith Farmer; 03-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Ran this one for the younger dogs.....240 yards with two re-entries and weird angles.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

I am green with envy for your training grounds. I would lovel to have just one of those ponds.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Come on Dawn......we have lots of water like that in CT!!!! Kidding! Spent 10 days training with Lois and the Arthurs in GA last week.....super nice grounds in GA.....Keith, very jealous!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Great water and land for training! I was laughing at the description of the training and thinking "How awesome is that!" Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting, Keith. If I'm running this blind , would it be advisable to stop the dog before he hits that duck scent and try and drive him through it with a hard back , or wait to see how he reacts to the scent, and then stop him . I guess it may depend on how other dogs reacted to it but my thought would be to stop him before the scent. At least in a trial situation.
    I'd like to hear what more experienced trainers would do. Thanks.

Default handling

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Thanks for posting, Keith. If I'm running this blind , would it be advisable to stop the dog before he hits that duck scent and try and drive him through it with a hard back , or wait to see how he reacts to the scent, and then stop him . I guess it may depend on how other dogs reacted to it but my thought would be to stop him before the scent. At least in a trial situation.
    I'd like to hear what more experienced trainers would do. Thanks.

Tim,

With specific regards to THIS blind the unique angles offered opportunities for handles throughout. Several of the dogs had to be pushed further down the beach/dike road to facilitate remaining on line as they were trying to get back in the water too soon. Therefore, I did give a cast for most dogs to get back in the channel at the last section but not for scent issues...it was for staying on line purposes. I only had one to pay attention to scent and it was not the scent from the birds on the bales but drag back on the edge of the cove just prior to the beach area...she is learning to deal with that kind of factor so it was no surprise. In her case, after dealing with her drag back issue I gave her a big verbal back when she came up on the beach area and she plowed straight through (being that she was online) to the re-entry without hesitation. This particular dog has not yet learned properly how to discriminate scent.

To the point of your question...in this case I believe I would first approach the factor by waiting to see if the dog breaks down before handling. I would prefer to not micro-manage the dog if they are not doing anything wrong. I may prefer to handle if the cast were so critical that I only had one shot at getting it or all would be lost...in my opinion this is not that kind of presentation. In fact, I had one dog who lined the blind. I usualy like to handle on these type blinds but he simply remained 100% on line the entire way with no deviations...

In terms of running a trial I would suggest watching the field, evaluating the scent impact on the dogs running through it, and be prepared to act preemptively with a cast just before the scented area or reactively very quickly upon notice of an impact which may cause deviation.

Let me know if that is not what you are looking for...maybe I can answer specific questions you have.

All I can say is NICE. Wish I was there.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums

Thanks , Keith. That makes sense to me.
    I have had issues with scent on blinds in a few trials. The first time was past the flyer station where there were crates left out. I didn't stop him quickly enough and he got in trouble. Similar scenario in another trial and I hit the whistle before where I thought he would hit the scent, which was also where the cover got thicker. He had good momentum but I wanted to avoid what happened last time. He stopped and his head snapped to the left , getting a nose full of scent. You can probably guess how that turned out. I have really trained on this and have run these type of blinds since with much better results. All of the trials were quals. I understand what you are saying about being ready to stop them fast when they start to break down and give in. I try and watch the pros and veteran ams to know when to anticipate and handle . Really takes experience.