The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hip Dysplasia ?

Default Hip Dysplasia ?

A fellow co-worker bought a golden retriever pup, and is going to have is neutered, and when he made the appointment, the vet asked if he wanted to have a surgery done that would help from hip dysplasia later in life, I told him that I had never heard of such a surgery. Is there such a thing, or is this vet just trying to take his money?

There is a surgery, TPO, that can be done when a dog is still young and growing that involves cutting the pelvis and tilting it so the hip bone has better coverage in the socket. I had it done on a German Shepherd I had, and that hip was ok his whole life. It is not done, though, unless there is already a problem showing on x-ray. Has the pup been x-rayed?
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by pupaloo View Post
    There is a surgery, TPO, that can be done when a dog is still young and growing that involves cutting the pelvis and tilting it so the hip bone has better coverage in the socket. I had it done on a German Shepherd I had, and that hip was ok his whole life. It is not done, though, unless there is already a problem showing on x-ray. Has the pup been x-rayed?
    To the best of my knowledge it has not been x-rayed, and the dog will be a pet, not that it doesn't deserve the best quality of life, it just won't be put thru the everyday workouts of a working dog.

I've not heard of any surgery that is a "prophyalactic" for hip dysplasia.

What age is the dog? There is a mountain of scientific evidence that says that dogs should not be spayed or neutered before about 18 months when the dog has finished growing. In fact, there is growing evidence that s/n is linked to a number of different types of cancer in dogs and shouldn't be performed at all. In fact, there's a study out in just that past month that highlights the cancer problems in Goldens due to s/n. Here's a good study to put in your friends hands though its not specific to Goldens.

http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/Wh...uterInDogs.pdf
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

It's called Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis.

The dog needs to be younger than 16 weeks.
    They basically cauterize the growth plates in the back of the pelvis, so that only the front of the pelvis continues to grow.

I would tell your co-worker to look for another vet!

Interesting article on the subject: http://www.sunbeamgoldens.com/EarlySN.html

I found the second article (released last month). It's titled "Neutering Dogs: Effects on Joint Disorders and Cancers in Golden Retrievers" (funded by the AKC Canine Health Foundation). See: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0055937

Eric
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It's called Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis.

The dog needs to be younger than 16 weeks.
    They basically cauterize the growth plates in the back of the pelvis, so that only the front of the pelvis continues to grow.
    Here's a link with graphic photos on JPS

http://www.azvs.com/handouts/AVS%20N...009%20Bone.pdf

After research a few years ago when the retriever pup was showing lameness issues at an early age, Penn-HIP was not very good, and neither was the preliminary OFA, I decided against an early surgical intervention. There's a reason OFA doesn't issue a final report until two years of age. This same dog was OFA excellent at two years. (Both the breeder and surgeon were encouraging me to put the pup thru a JPS...it just didn't make sense to me.)
    Last edited by frontier; 03-28-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)