The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pup /sad pedigree

Default New Pup /sad pedigree

Just got a pup a black female. Ive been out of the training game for around 12 years. Shes only 12 wks and retrieving good. So far the worst thing about her is her pedigree. Theirs only 2 titles in 5 generations, and that was from the first generation. Any chance I can title this dog?

Does the dog know how to read its own papers ? ...Are you a smarter trainer than you were 12 years ago ?

Do you think you can title the dog ? How committed are you ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

health clearances?

arise,
    imho every performance pedigree started somewhere. 20 years from now your dog might just be titled and in the third generation of the best, most titled pedigrees in the retriever world. work hard and give him a chance!
    john mccallie

I am probably not the person to give a great scientific answer to this but...

I think that a bigger part of the success of a dog is in the amount of QUALITY training and time a person is able to put into them, more then how many titles there are in their pedigree. If your goals are FC/AFC, then I think the challenge is up to you, kind of like Bon indicated.

I say give it 100% and post the pictures of the ribbons as they come.

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)

I have seen dogs with no pedigree in the background turn out to be really nice dogs that people have had but put a lot of hard work in the training.Then I know one guy got a dog with great pedigree and the dog was awful no training on his part.I think a good part of everything is good training.

My dog Maddie has no titles showing on her pedigree going back three generations and turned out great.
    Last edited by blinddogmaddie; 03-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums

My sad pedigree is my very first master hunter. We had a fantastic time training and learning together.

Go for it.....I had the same situation and put a lot of time and effort into the dog, made it to the top, great feeling.

Ben does not have anything impressive in his pedigree unless you look way back... about 4 generations... but he has turned out to be an awesome dog, and probably could have done more if I'd have known what I do now about training... I say if don't count him out! If the ability is there, give him a chance to prove himself.
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"