The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pup /sad pedigree

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    Just got a pup a black female. Ive been out of the training game for around 12 years. Shes only 12 wks and retrieving good. So far the worst thing about her is her pedigree. Theirs only 2 titles in 5 generations, and that was from the first generation. Any chance I can title this dog?
    Can she be registered? If so, then yes, there's a chance!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm thinking about starting formal training around 6 mnths, and just focus on building her desire to retrieve for now.
    Jason

I am a huge proponent of giving every dog a chance. I have a golden retriever X mutt black lab mix that has gotten through double T with a rookie trainer...ME! I really think that good training and a great bond with your dog goes a long way.
    Rocky's Last Chambered Shell-"Ruger"

Just got a pup a black female. Ive been out of the training game for around 12 years. Shes only 12 wks and retrieving good. So far the worst thing about her is her pedigree. Theirs only 2 titles in 5 generations, and that was from the first generation. Any chance I can title this dog?
    I wouldn't worry about the titles. I haven't bought a dog yet whose parents were titled at the time of purchase. What is important is if your dog is birdy, has memory, marks well, and is trained.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Dogs are bought....titles are earned...if the titles came with the purchase of the pup, what fun would it be? As long as dog and trainer are healthy, train your hearts out!!!!!
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

My first lab was fresh out of the newspaper for $200 and at that time i had no clue what a title meant or what ukc was. My interest was that it had "papers" and that her parents were solid hunting dogs. This (95') i believe was far before all the health clearances of today, not to mention all the internet posts that could potntially cast negative thought. I read a dog traing book cover to cover, right or wrong, and started doing it my own way and we learned together. From picking up doves, ducks, treeing squrrels, blood trailing a deer, sitting at heel draped in my camocoat behind brush watching 2 long beards strut on my first turkey kill, to being a foot warmer every night in bed - there is hope. At two years old someome mentioned "hunt test" so we gave it a shot going 4-4 in Seasoned and 6-6 in finshed - and lived a few days shy of 15 yrs old - hunting hard until 11. Lucky? Most likely! Is there hope for you? absolutely!

like other posters have stated give it a chance and dont doubt your pup, who knows you may have the next srs champion if you work hard enough and have enough skill as a trainer, good luck.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Well I blame my addiction on this sport on my $225 back yard bred Mutt...ended up with titles in NAHRA, HRC and AKC....it's all his fault, why did he have to have that shit eating grin on his face when he retrieved his first live pigeon at 10 weeks old? God I miss him everyday!

And not once did he ever ask me about his pedigree - I don't even think he knew he was a dog, I think he truly thought he was human!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Titled dogs a few generations back, likely a better pedigree than the owner. (lol)
    I say this tongue in cheek as it reminds me of quip offered by Dennis Robins of Sundee Retreivers.
    Dennis listed all the National and field trial titled dogs in a pedigree of a very nice breeding of proven dogs on both sides to a prospective customer. When the customer question if the pedigree of the dogs would pass muster. Dennis replied, "Madame, the pedigree behind this breeding is likely better than your family tree."

Daniel Shnitka

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Marenich View Post
    Ben does not have anything impressive in his pedigree unless you look way back... about 4 generations... but he has turned out to be an awesome dog, and probably could have done more if I'd have known what I do now about training... I say if don't count him out! If the ability is there, give him a chance to prove himself.
    You shoulda heard Billy braggin' about Ben in the chat room.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013