The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pup /sad pedigree

In 1973 I was given my first Lab pup. I didn't hunt. We were just looking for a pet. In 1976 my neighbor, an avid hunter, was tired of seeing this tennis ball & frisbee dog going to waste so he took us out dove hunting. 116 degrees in the Southern California desert, dog never been trained or been shot over or even seen a game bird. He retrieved two limits. I'd never seen him happier. I was hooked. I found a hunting partner, bought a 77' F250 and the rest as they say is history.

Now, 40 years and 5 generations later Gage is the Great-Great Grandson of that wonderful dog. I bred once each generation for the "replacement" hunting dog. I never once gave any thought to titles or pedigree in the females we bought to breed. They were mostly "backyard bred". I was very lucky because each instinctively understood and loved bird hunting. It's almost as though I've had the same dog for 40 years.

Gage is the first of this line to take up the Hunt Test game. He and I have been learning together and at a little past two years old he has a "Seasoned" title, a "WR" title and 3 legs toward a Senior.

I guess you could say he has a "Sad" pedigree but I couldn't be happier!

my best dog had no titles in her back ground she is a hunting machine . i got her hr title and 2 legs of her hrc but couldn't get any further as she suffered from a bad trainer me.

Look at Seaside Pelican Pete's pedigree. He won the master national. "Dame" there is not one champion on her side for a few generations. Enough said.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Pete is an amazing dog and I am proud to be one of those who shot flyers and threw marks for him. However his dam's pedigree isn't empty. Here is a link:
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=41619

I have a dog that had solid wall of champions 4 generations back, but the breeder only did a few attempts at field trials over the years. It was essentially an empty pedigree. My inexperience with the games got me mixed up with a really brutal trainer and we had a year of remedial work as well as farming him out to several trainers to get specific issues ironed out. He went on to win 24 Master passes and 3 Master National appearances with a pass. He earned an RJ and a JAM in an Amateur. The Jam came with my wife handling as a rookie handler. The judges later said he had it won going away until he needed handling on the last bird.

Pedigrees are an index to the possibility a dog may present to a prospective buyer. Pedigrees can be empty for any number of reasons. But what really matters is the quality of your dog's training, his desire to do the work, and your relationship with your dog.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 03-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    Just got a pup a black female. Ive been out of the training game for around 12 years. Shes only 12 wks and retrieving good. So far the worst thing about her is her pedigree. Theirs only 2 titles in 5 generations, and that was from the first generation. Any chance I can title this dog?
    Get the dog you love and love the dog you get!

Enjoy your pup, learn together and enjoy bonding.

My pup's pedigree is a who's who in FC/AFC's.
    It is solid.
    So far not many titles but lots of fun and laughter and even frustration.
    The pedigree does not guaruntee ribbons or titles.
    But, my life would be lacking without him, I wouldn't trade one moment of our time together for anything!
    That is greater to me than any ribbon or title.

Best of luck to you!!!!!
    I hope you are happy with your pup!
    Last edited by road kill; 03-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Look at Seaside Pelican Pete's pedigree. He won the master national.
    Huh????...don't tell Yozamp and Zylla

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Look at Seaside Pelican Pete's pedigree. He won the master national. "Dame" there is not one champion on her side for a few generations. Enough said.

Not sure what pedigree you looked at but if the above is true it is definitely not Pete's!
    Last edited by EdA; 03-28-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Huh????...don't tell Yozamp and Zylla
    Thanks for the laugh this morning Doc!!

National Open Regards,

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Homburg View Post
    Thanks for the laugh this morning Doc!!

National Open Regards,

Aaron
    x2.
    And wishing I had such slackers in the dame department, regards.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I will take a different approach. I think a lot of health baggages come with some breedings with no name pedigrees.
    The first two generations contribute 75 percent of the pups make-up talent etc. After that approximately 12 percent and who cares. The price of the pups is the cheapest part of training, raising, caring, feeding, over the life of the dog.

One never knows where this dog journey will take you. It may start out as we want a pet/hunting dog to many venues.
    One takes a female pup, I can always breed her future answer, but, health issues, no name pedigree etc? I have been down the road and learned a few lessons along the way. Get the best pup you can afford. I know, no pup is worth more then 500 bucks unless i am selling it ! In the long run it may be the cheaper route but? I personally know of many healthy dogs with no name pedigrees that went on to great venues, hunt tests, field trials, but, had limited breeding offers because of lack of a pedigree and/or health issues genetically . Everything being equal , not raining on your parade have fun, good luck, enjoy the journey. Just presenting the other side.
    Earl Dillow

Look at the titles on my boy.
    There are no titles at all, except show Champion, in his pedigree, anywhere.
    Go for it! A lot of times all it means is everyone was too busy to title the dog, or didn't care about titles.

Quote Originally Posted by AriseKillEat View Post
    Just got a pup a black female. Ive been out of the training game for around 12 years. Shes only 12 wks and retrieving good. So far the worst thing about her is her pedigree. Theirs only 2 titles in 5 generations, and that was from the first generation. Any chance I can title this dog?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com