The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTSD Service Dogs

Default PTSD Service Dogs

My brother is a Iraq War vet who is having some problems with PTSD. We were discussing the PTSD service dogs, but we didn't know to much about them. Anyone have any good information about them or what a training program for them would be like?

I don't know about training PTSD service dogs, but I recently read a book on a soldier and his PTSD service dog and how his dog helped him. here is the info if you are interested.
    Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him
    http://www.amazon.com/Until-Tuesday-...+named+tuesday

We would also like to give our thanks to your brother for his service and to you for helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    My brother is a Iraq War vet who is having some problems with PTSD. We were discussing the PTSD service dogs, but we didn't know to much about them. Anyone have any good information about them or what a training program for them would be like?
    Please tell your brother thanks for his service! Have either one of you contacted Scott Dewey or Charles Dwyer at Retrieving Freedom? If not that is where I would start. Hope the link works and Good Luck!

http://www.retrievingfreedom.org
    Brandon Edmondson

A gal who works in my office just became a puppy parent to a golden (4 months old). She is working through this organization:

http://warriorcanineconnection.org/Home_Page.html

She keeps the dog for the first 2 years and then they go to veterans. Awesome program for all the right reasons.

Thanks for the info. I am checking it out now.

Retrieving Freedom is an honorary sponsor of RTF. They have a banner at the bottom of all RTF pages.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thank your brother so much for his service. My wife is a board member for PawPals assistance dogs who train dogs for veterans esp those with PTSD. Contact www.paw-pals.org for more info. They are based in Colorado.

Not an expert but it would seem that one w/ PTSD primarily needs a calm/stable, well-behaved, OB trained companion dog (vs. the much more advanced training that goes into a dog for someone w/ a physical disability). If you can't locate a group w/ a reasonable waiting period for a PTSD dog, you might check your area for shelters that may provide trained dogs. I know locally our shelter has a great program where they send dogs to the state prison for intensive OB and socializing. Many areas now have programs like this. If the shelter also has a really good dog evaluator they can be a great help in making a match. If you find the right dog you should also be able to get it 'certified' as a service dog, if your brother feels like he needs that. I hope you and your brother find the perfect dog for him - he deserves it!

Henlee talk with Retrieving Freedom. Unfortunately the VA won't recognize PTSD service dogs yet. I am a volunteer for Freedom Hunters, if your brother ever wants to go on a hunting trip send him my way. I have made 2 deployments to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan as a flight medic so I definitely understand what he is going through.
    Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it"
    www.freedomhunters.org

Your brother is one of the reasons that Retriever Freedom started. Please call them and see what they have. Thank you brother for his service to our country.