The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running at the birdboy

Habit formation takes time and exposure. Of course bad habits tend to form faster!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

My two cents. Make it easier for the dog to go to the mark rather than the bb. Not suggesting cover or anything to block the dog but just the positioning of the bb and mark. Long throws.

Sometimes when I introduce young dogs to bb thrown marks I start with the bb very close to me off to one side and throwing the mark in front of the dog as far as bb can throw. The dog will go to the mark. Then gradually move the bb in an arc more toward your front. As you do this in small incremental steps the dog will learn to ignore the bb and go to the mark.

A picture would be better. Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

I had a young dog last year that always went to the bird boy. We did "jug training". Placed a white jug away from the BB and then tossed the bird there. Dog runs to white jug and after that you take the jug away. Seemed to really help and didn't take long at all. My fiancee and another pro that I know of have done this for young dogs. My 2 cents, i can't throw very far soooo this was an option worth trying. Marking improved...

Good luck and hope this helps. Dawn

there is one method of thinking that a dog that runs towards a birdboy and then peels off and pins the bird is actually following the arc of the bird being thrown...I know of a few dogs both past and present that exhibit this form of behavior..Clint's dog Rex did it all the time...and he won Two Amateur stakes in his career
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"