The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyers at a hunt test

Question Flyers at a hunt test

I ran a hunt test recently, a double header JR. The first day we got 2 flyers, the second day only 1 flyer.
    I paid the same entry fee for both tests. One Judge at the end suggested we train with wet soggy "skanky" (not sure if I can say that here but its a quote) birds, so the dogs won't resist picking them up. I would think the consensus of handlers would want 2 flyers per event. If the club chooses not to use 2 flyers, say so in the premium, so we can skip that event if inclined to do so. what are other clubs doing ?

As per the AKC HT Rule book, you do not have to use a live flyer in Junior at all. Most test that I've run had only one flyer for Junior, usually on land.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    I ran a hunt test recently, a double header JR. The first day we got 2 flyers, the second day only 1 flyer.
    I paid the same entry fee for both tests. One Judge at the end suggested we train with wet soggy "skanky" (not sure if I can say that here but its a quote) birds, so the dogs won't resist picking them up. I would think the consensus of handlers would want 2 flyers per event. If the club chooses not to use 2 flyers, say so in the premium, so we can skip that event if inclined to do so. what are other clubs doing ?
    I have never seen a JR hunt test with two live flyers. Dog should pick up a bird when its thrown period. Judge is correct.
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words and forks make us fat"

APR Delaware River Reilly JH

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Most have one at best. Force fetch is your friend.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

You will be skipping a lot of tests.
    Bert Rodgers

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

1 flyer is the norm up here. Skanky ducks yup they happen.
    Mike Peters

The regs require 2 live birds per entry but depending on where you're from that's a rule that is broken more often than not. Nothing about live shot flyers, except at master and senior. Clubs cut back because of the expense, hassle and difficulty of finding bird stewards to acquire, care for and deliver stinking bird crates to all flights. Suggest you let the clubs you might enter know how you feel about having flyers. And I'm sure they'll appreciate your volunteering to throw, shoot, catch up and crate live birds deliver to the various stakes or drive all night to deliver birds for the club.

Since you must be new to the game I will try to help. Birds are around $12-15/bird befor any expenses associated with keeping or transporting them so most are at leat $15 when all is said and done. Most clubs could not put on a test spending $30 per dog on birds (standard is 1.5/dog). You got extremely lucky to have two live birds in a test. I have not seen that in 25 years of running test.
    Judges take the lions share of test income, followed by birds. I would be willing to bet you won't see that again.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    The regs require 2 live birds per entry but depending on where you're from that's a rule that is broken more often than not. Nothing about live shot flyers, except at master and senior. Clubs cut back because of the expense, hassle and difficulty of finding bird stewards to acquire, care for and deliver stinking bird crates to all flights. Suggest you let the clubs you might enter know how you feel about having flyers. And I'm sure they'll appreciate your volunteering to throw, shoot, catch up and crate live birds deliver to the various stakes or drive all night to deliver birds for the club.
    Are you volunteering to pick up the birds in T'vill next week?
    Corey Burke

My young dog ran 5 Junior tests last year. We had 1 flier total. And that was UNEXPECTED. They are not required in Junior. You WILL see them in Master. Occasionally you WON'T see them in Senior. Usually on the second day. The last Master test I ran in the fall of last year, we had 3 series, all triples. If I remember right, 1 flier total.

I always have 2 yucky birds frozen in my freezer. You HAVE to train on them as you will see them. You would be amazed at how quickly mouth problems can occur when the see them if they haven't been exposed to them before. I learned that one the hard way. I always do a refresher force fetch session with nasty birds.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com