The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Flyers at a hunt test

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    I ran a hunt test recently, a double header JR. The first day we got 2 flyers, the second day only 1 flyer.
    I paid the same entry fee for both tests. One Judge at the end suggested we train with wet soggy "skanky" (not sure if I can say that here but its a quote) birds, so the dogs won't resist picking them up. I would think the consensus of handlers would want 2 flyers per event. If the club chooses not to use 2 flyers, say so in the premium, so we can skip that event if inclined to do so. what are other clubs doing ?
    Your gunna hate HRC.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Good comments Brad. It's not as if HT's are run by commercial conglomerates but rather by a local club handful of volunteers that bust their arses a few times of year to provide an event for people to run in. And proceeds from all that effort support helping and enabling all kinds of people to better their dog work - often for an annual due of about 30 bucks.

Handlers or clubs looking for entitlement should probably take a hike.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Evans View Post
    Its obvious Paul that you haven't been around any other clubs but your local ones. Clubs like ours only have a couple judges that can judge. You do not use them on every test you run or they will soon burn out and quit judging.
    You are very fortunate to have so many judges available in the Seattle area. If we want to have more local judges they have to come to a semaniar all the way to your clubs as we with very very few members can't afford putting on one for the benefit of the club.
    So all I can say is THANKS Dick, Kent, John, our three local judges, for all you do so we all can enjoy what we do in eastern Wa.
    Clay
    You know how many judges there are in the NW? You say you only have 3 local judges. ROFL....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

THANK YOU ///////////// AND /////////PLEASE NO MORE REPLIES FOR THIS THREAD,............. AFTER READING ALL OF THEM i NO LONGER WANT TO ATTEND
    ANOTHER HUNT TEST, ...........AND ALL THE CLUBS CAN SAVE THE MONEY FOR FLYERS.
    So we can't look forward to your $75 donation??? This almost has the scent of a JH failure...don't worry it happens to everyone at some point! It will blow your mind everytime, when a short grass/distance mark goes off and somehow David Copperfield couldn't have done a better job. You won't find many people on RTF that can't tell you a story about that... I've had that happen twice on gimme HRC started tests.

Muddy Bird Down a Hole Reguards,
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 04-01-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Is it common for people to drive that far for a hunt test?
    All the time.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

THANK YOU ///////////// AND /////////PLEASE NO MORE REPLIES FOR THIS THREAD,............. AFTER READING ALL OF THEM i NO LONGER WANT TO ATTEND
    ANOTHER HUNT TEST, ...........AND ALL THE CLUBS CAN SAVE THE MONEY FOR FLYERS.
    No offense, but based on your lack of knowledge of the regs and reasoning skills demonstrated in this thread, I hope you neither think nor deal with the public for a living.

Enjoy your stamp collecting.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    So we can't look forward to your $75 donation??? This almost has the scent of a JH failure...don't worry it happens to everyone at some point! It will blow your mind everytime, when a short grass/distance mark goes off and somehow David Copperfield couldn't have done a better job. You won't find many people on RTF that can't tell you a story about that... I've had that happen twice on gimme HRC started tests.

Muddy Bird Down a Hole Reguards,
    I hope your dog has a better nose than you. Dog went 4 for 4 in the juniors, and in fact I would have skipped the juniors, except to help out the sport. What triggered this post was, after a long delay on starting the test waiting on gunners, one of the other handlers and myself grabbed our guns and chair and went out to get things going. After the first series ended I asked one of the judges where the next flyer station was, so I could go out and set up. Judge said "the club was not giving them another flyer." That is why I asked the question. When I enter to a test, regardless of JH, SH, MH, I would like to see 2 flyers in the test, that is my opinion, and my dogs like them better than skanky ducks. All the reasons not to have a flyer in a junior are reasons to have one in my book, tests their obedience at the line, test their marking preserverance, and hunting ability in a sented area. Mike Lardy says we put too much pressure on these dogs not to give them flyers, it keeps there attitude up. My dogs would rather go hunting, than sit in the truck at a ht. the costs are about the same. ANd when they find an old dead skanky bird, I tell them to leave it for the next hunt test dog.

So Gunz why the attitude? The reality of it is what the clubs ARE doing not what we wish they would do.At least they're not using pigeons much any more. The dogs can get their flyers in training to keep the attitude up.If you think hunt tests are rough try field trials. Yes they get flyers but you have to make it through the first series to get more.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

I would like to look it up on entry express if you do not mind. Will you share please? If you look mine up I will have a few fails here and there.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Certain clubs have to order/buy ALL of the birds ahead of time and the bird steward/seller will not take any back. Our club has to buy birds this way.

At the location of our test, it is often very windy, so often the judges prefer not to shoot a bird on the water, because they want to have a certain 'test' for the dogs and wind and safety issues (judge's decision) cause the lack of a shot flyer.

So the club is stuck with an extra 50 ducks already paid for and the hassle of trying to sell them at the end of the test IF (and that's a BIG IF) there is a pro willing to buy most of them.

So, this year we had our J/S judges to let us know which of them could easily shoot a flyer on both of their tests, and that pair of judges did that.
    At a test the weekend before, that club was nixing any 2nd flyers, so I thought we were offering a fair compromise (to our budget and the participants) with 3 out of 4 possible flyers, at least.

Remember that often at least 1/2 of the Master dogs never get their 2nd flyer for the weekend, and don't pay much more at all.