The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food Storage

yup...almost half a bag fits in the dish storage.....i use the setup that has the removable lid...nice and easy for travel...

Quote Originally Posted by kcrumpy9 View Post
    I leave mine in the bag and then put the bag in an airtight container (I have a metal Oscar the Grouch type with a lid). Vittles Vaults are very nice

Thanks everyone it seems like a waste to buy a specific storage container made for the food when I can get a trash can or bucket with a lid that will be more durable.

I bought a plastic container that has a foam gasket and a snap lock lid at Pets Mart.

It's smaller, about the size of a typical kitchen garbage container. I got it for food while traveling. It can only hold about 15 pounds and a scoop and 2 pans. The foam gasket works great. It keeps food for a long time. They sell them in larger sizes and they were reasonably priced.

A plain old trash can works too.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

One of the old style aluminum trash cans. Been using the same one for over 30 years!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    I welded a metal container with a down spout and slide valve to pour into a cup so I know exactly how much im feeding each time and bolted to the studs in the kennel shed.(not where dogs can get to it though )
    Possible that u put a up a pic? I would like to see what ur talking about. Thanks
    Bryan Corbett
    Ten Bears Wild Road Trip "Reece"

Due to being out in the Boonies, I buy my dog food in 10 bag lots. I store it in a clauset that is more or less mouse proof (mostly more). I then put the bag in a galvanised garbage can with metal lid which sits on a rolling platform to go to each kennel run. I've had rats chew up all types of plastic containers and yes I have put out rat bait, but I fear the dogs getting hold of some of it. Works for me for 23 years now,Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin D View Post
    I use a 12gl Bucket w/ screw on lid. Seals air tight with gasket inside the lid.

A 35lbs bag fills it around 3/4 full.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BWAY-Pail-7J116
    Wow no wonder a bucket of chlorine for my pool costs so much its not the chemicals but the darn buckets they come in.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

My dad had these, but his were made by Purina as a promotional thing I think. I remember them as a kid. Not sure what he did with them when he moved. They hung on the wall!
    http://www.garystoys-n-things.com/ga...ispenser-1.jpg
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Metal can and lid/bungee straop, Vittle Vault or Avery food bag for the road depending on how long I'm gone.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Quote Originally Posted by R.T. Haas View Post
    I'm a dog food dealer and always tell my customers it is important to keep food in the original bag. The bag can be stored inside any metal or plastic container. Natural preservatives are sensitive to metal and plastic and can spoil food.
    Interesting but makes sense. I've always stored mine in the old fashioned metal garbage can but I'll start leaving the food in the bag in the garbage can.